https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/61488-copywriting_how_do_rates_compare_with_translation.html

Copywriting (how do rates compare with translation?)
Thread poster: Randi Kristensen
Randi Kristensen
Randi Kristensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:59
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Dec 12, 2006

What is the price level for copywriting websites compared to translation prices. Do one have to charge more or less than when you do a translation? Just to have an idea.
R. Kristensen

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-12-12 13:21]

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you want fries with that? Dec 12, 2006

R. Kristensen wrote:
What is the price level for copywriting websites compared to translation prices. Do one have to charge more or less than when you do a translation? Just to have an idea.

It depends on what type of text you are talking about.

Is it for a product? for a service? for general information?

In general, think between US$400 to US$5,000+ per item.

Of course, this applies to professional copywriters and not to people who want to do it "on the side" without any previous training.

My suggestion would be to call the best advertising agencies in your city/country and ask them how much they charge.

--
Dyran

Jackie Bowman
Jackie Bowman

Local time: 17:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's hard to say ... Dec 12, 2006

Dear RK,

The question isn’t really answerable in the terms in which you pose it. First, do you really mean ‘copywriting’ or do you mean ‘copyediting’?

If you mean ‘copyediting’ … my own, entirely subjective rule of thumb is to charge exactly half of what I charge for translating. I do that on a per-word basis. So if I charge 15 cents a word to translate, I’ll charge 7.5 cents a word to copyedit.

If you really mean ‘copywriting’, the sk
... See more
Dear RK,

The question isn’t really answerable in the terms in which you pose it. First, do you really mean ‘copywriting’ or do you mean ‘copyediting’?

If you mean ‘copyediting’ … my own, entirely subjective rule of thumb is to charge exactly half of what I charge for translating. I do that on a per-word basis. So if I charge 15 cents a word to translate, I’ll charge 7.5 cents a word to copyedit.

If you really mean ‘copywriting’, the sky (and the client’s purse) is pretty much the limit. I’d charge for that on a per-day basis. To write stuff, I charge an absolute minimum of US$500 a day.

All good luck to you.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copywriting (how do rates compare with translation?)

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »