User
Thread poster: Jenny Duthie
Using Paypal - how to receive payments

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:33
French to English
Dec 21, 2006

Hello I'm a freelance translator & have just signed up with Paypal and I'm not at all clear on how to receive payments, I don't find their online instructions very clear, and don't even know where to find my Paypal email. Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:33
English to German
+ ...
Hi Jenny Dec 21, 2006

I absolutely agree that the instructions aren't very clear.

However, the email address is your regular email address. Paypal doesn't assign new ones.

To withdraw money, click on "Withdraw" (top of the screen, where it says: "Overview", "Add Funds", "Withdraw", etc.).

It will display the amount available and from then on it's easy.

Has your account been verified yet?

Best,

Nicole

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks re query about receiving Paypal payments Dec 21, 2006

thanks very much Nicole, but what instructions do I have to give my customer (in this case, a translation agency) on how to make my payment, also the account has not been verified yet as I still don't have the 4-digit code which Paypa has given to my bankl

United States
English to German
+ ...
No instructions necessary Dec 21, 2006

Hi Jenny,

That your client agreed to pay via Paypal (not all of them do!) indicates that they are signed up with Paypal already and know what to do. All they need is the email address that you used to start your account. To make it even easier for your clients: On your profile page you can choose "preferred payment method". If you enable Paypal, the little Paypal icon will be shown on your profile page and all the customer will have to do, is to click on it and all your payment information will be available.

Addendum:

When you start a Paypal account, they asked you for a bank account number, right? To verify, that this bank account is actually yours, they will deposit a couple of cents to your account. As soon as you receive your next bank statement (or check your balance online or over the phone), you will see how much it was.
Then you log on to Paypal (typing in your own, regular email address and the password you chose, report this amount, you will receive a confirmation email from Paypal and then you are ready to go. This verification process can take a couple of days.

There is no such thing as forwarding 4-digit numbers to anybody..

[Edited at 2006-12-22 00:02]

translate_david
Iceland
Local time: 06:33
English to Icelandic
+ ...
"Request money" is the way Dec 22, 2006

Jenny Duthie wrote:

thanks very much Nicole, but what instructions do I have to give my customer (in this case, a translation agency) on how to make my payment, also the account has not been verified yet as I still don't have the 4-digit code which Paypa has given to my bankl

Hi Jenny. I have fairly recently gone through all the mambo of PayPal instructions. The best way for me is to request an email address from the person I have been communicating with regarding the translation job itself.

Usually, the agency has assigned a special email address for these purposes (e.g. accounts@tranz.com) and as soon as you receive that email you should do this:

Press 'Request money'. Then you are able to input the email address of the agency, the amount of request and so forth.

Another option is to press 'Request money' and then press 'Invoicing Tool'. There you can create your own invoice that will be sent to the email you submit.

Best regards,

David.

TRANZsmart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Request Money option Dec 22, 2006

Hi Jenny,

You can also send invoices through paypal. There's an option at the top somewhere to "request money". Click on it and it will ask you for the email address of the person who you wish to invoice and then some various fields about currency, amount etc.

Hope that helps

Henry

C. Roman
Spain
Romanian to Spanish
+ ...
Notification by mail Dec 22, 2006

Hi folks!

One question: does paypal send a notification mail when someone has made a payment to your account?

Thanks

United States
English to German
+ ...
Yes, they send a notification Dec 22, 2006

Consuela Roman wrote:

does paypal send a notification mail when someone has made a payment to your account?

They read like this:

"Dear Firstname Lastname,

This email confirms that [person / company] has sent you [amount / currency] with PayPal.

To complete this payment, you must accept or deny it within 30 days by clicking here.

If you do not accept or deny this payment within 30 days, it will be cancelled and the funds will be returned to [person's / company's] account."

gdesai  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:03
German to English
Account verification Dec 22, 2006

I have a query about PayPal account verification.
1) If I do not have my account verified, my withdrawal is limited to USD 500 per month.
2) To verify my account, I need to enter my credit card details.
3) I do not wish to reveal my credit card no. as I have this crazy notion that someone will track my credit card number and misuse it.
4) My query: does PayPal offer another means of verification, such as e.g. through bank account no. or still better through address registered with them (as Moneybookers does)?
Does any one know?
Gaurang H. Desai

United States
English to German
+ ...
Hi gdesai Dec 22, 2006

gdesai wrote:

1) If I do not have my account verified, my withdrawal is limited to USD 500 per month.

Your account must be verified, or you can't withdraw anything.

2) To verify my account, I need to enter my credit card details.

Only if you want to upgrade to merchant status (allowing you to withdraw more than 500 at a time).

3) I do not wish to reveal my credit card no. as I have this crazy notion that someone will track my credit card number and misuse it.

That's a tough one. To achieve merchant status, they require a backup source. You need to decide.

4) My query: does PayPal offer another means of verification, such as e.g. through bank account no. or still better through address registered with them (as Moneybookers does)?

Both of them need to verify that the bank account is actually yours, which makes sense IMO, and the procedures are very similar, if not identical.

Ugh, I hope this is readable. I don't know how to make text bold or so.

Did this help?

Best,

Nicole

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:33
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Never seen this on my notifications Dec 22, 2006

Nicole Schnell wrote:

To complete this payment, you must accept or deny it within 30 days by clicking here.

If you do not accept or deny this payment within 30 days, it will be cancelled and the funds will be returned to [person's / company's] account."

Hi Nicole,

I have never seen this on my notifications from Paypal and I have never accepted or denied anything. The money is deposited into my Paypal account and it sits there until I ask for a transfer to my bank account. Actually I have decided to always leave some money in my Paypal account in case I have to pay something, e.g. my Proz membership.

United States
English to German
+ ...
Hi Tina! Dec 22, 2006

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I have never seen this on my notifications from Paypal.

This is weird. I actually copied the content of one of those notifications into my post (after replacing amounts / client's name). Do you have a merchant's account (the ones where you can withdraw more than 500)?

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:33
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Account verified Dec 22, 2006

Nicole Schnell wrote:

This is weird. I actually copied the content of one of those notifications into my post (after replacing amounts / client's name). Do you have a merchant's account (the ones where you can withdraw more than 500)?

I did have my account verified, that's probably why I don't need to accept or deny.

Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 04:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
FOUR-DIGIT NUMBER Dec 23, 2006

[quote]Nicole Schnell wrote:

Hi Jenny,

There is no such thing as forwarding 4-digit numbers to anybody..

Yes, there is -or can be. In fact, I have recently e-mailed my four-digit number to PayPal in order to have my account verified.
This is required if you use an international credit card. The four-digit number can be found on the first statement you receive from your credit card issuing bank.

Hope this helps!

United States
English to German
+ ...
Four-digit number Dec 23, 2006

Maybe it varies from country to country. There is a four-digit number on the back of the credit card, this information is required for all online transactions. I would never send such an information in an unencrypted email, though...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andy Lemminger[Call to this topic]
Jorge Rodrigues[Call to this topic]
Jenn Mercer[Call to this topic]
Natalia Volkova[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Paypal - how to receive payments

SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on
Speed up manual translations with sub-segment matching

AutoSuggest accelerates translation editing in SDL Trados Studio 2014 through intelligent sub-segment matching suggestions while you type.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexbible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: Completely redesigned user interface Live Preview Inline spell checking Inline formatting and more

More info »