Trying to hire a writer
Thread poster: KorTranz

KorTranz  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:48
English to Korean
+ ...
Dec 27, 2006

Hi all,

I am trying to hire a freelance writer who can work with me to write web site contents for a company.

How much do people pay freelance writers? Do they get paid more or less than translators? I am projecting that the total word count will be around 10,000 words. Since it is difficult to come up with the exact word count for the final product, I am having a hard time coming up with a reasonable rate. Please help!

Do you know if there is a good web-based agency (like proz.com) for freelance writers?

I need to find a good writer since I don't want to end up with more work for myself.

Thanks!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
e-lance Dec 27, 2006

This is a web site that you may find helpful.

http://www.elance.com/

I have no idea about rates for writers--I imagine it varies wildly, depending on the subject matter of the web site, what other services the person might provide (apart from simply the text), and the skill level of the person you hire (do you want someone with strong marketing skills, for example?).

Good luck!

erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:48
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
It depends. Dec 27, 2006

What is the topic? Which country? Which language? I am working as a journalist and sometimes writing technical contents. So it is paid quite differently. Please give more details.

KorTranz  Identity Verified
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More info Dec 27, 2006

Thank you for your replies!

It will be a marketing material in English (U.S.). I will check out http://www.elance.com/ and see what they have there. Choosing a writer is more difficult than selecting a translator to work with.

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
some info Dec 28, 2006

Hello KorTranz,

I also work as a writer/copywriter and in my experience the rates are indeed higher than for translators.

How projects are costed/billed differs among service providers and dominant business cultures. My comments only refer to my own experience, that of others may differ of course.

With clients in the US, projects tend to be proposal based and with a flat fee, which obviously take into account such factors as time spent on research and writing, whether I am working from a detailed brief or from scratch, the turn-around time, number of client revisions included in the fee, and of course the volume.

Clients in France tend to count in terms of "feuillets", a page of 1500 strokes including spaces. Again, the cost of a feuillet will take into account the variables noted above.

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year!

Patricia

erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi KorTranz Dec 28, 2006

write me a private email with some details about the job, maybe I have someone for you.
Best wishes
Erika (erika.rubinstein@gmx.de)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trying to hire a writer

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums