Mobile menu

web page translation
Thread poster: xxxGabi Ancarol
xxxGabi Ancarol
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 29, 2006

Hi everyone!

I'm in need of some information. An old client of mine, (long-term collaboration), has sent me a new project.. he wants me to translate his web site.

I'm ok with doing this job, but I've never done it at a professional level, just for friends...
Of course he has asked me for a budget... to have an idea of fees...
How do you count this kind of tranlsation jobs? We're not talking about words, lines etc here, right? Is it estimated according to time?
Any idea?

Thanks in advance..

Direct link Reply with quote

Chinese to English
Text translation only? Dec 29, 2006

If you will only translate the texts, will you just count the words in the files, not counting all the html tags and so on? If you will also translate figure captions, still count the words. Do you mean you will have to reproduce everything of the web site in a different language? That will involve more than translation, that will be a whole web reconstruction, that I don't know.

xxxGabi Ancarol
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
just text, right Dec 29, 2006

it's just text translation.. right, so you suggest charging for text lines /word count... like any other text

Thanks for your answer!

Saskia Steur  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:18
English to Dutch
+ ...
I use word count Dec 29, 2006

Hi Maria,
I've done many web site translations, but I negotiate a text version from my clients (with or without tags), so that I can apply a word rate. That way, I'm also sure I have all the text that requires translation, rather than 'picking' the text from the actual web site. This way the client is also clear about volume and price, at the start of the job.
Best regards,

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Completeness of text Dec 30, 2006

If the client plans to send you the text in Word format, be sure they know to extract all of the text they want translated.

That means they must transcribe text from graphics (menu buttons, pop-out graphics, banners, graphical PDFs, etc.). They should also include text from pull-down menus, text from images ALT tags, and other easy-to-forget features of web sites.

For more sophisticated sites, they'll also need to include any text that is generated dynamically through CGI scripting or database searches.

[Edited at 2006-12-30 17:43]

Alexandre Coutu
Local time: 00:18
English to French
Charge as if a technical text Jan 2, 2007

Along the lines of Steven's reply...

The easiest - and most common in my experience - is to receive Word files containing the text to be translated. However, that *always* poses some problems.

For one thing, there is always something left behind like buttons, images, etc. Second, you'll find that there's lots of short words or expressions that really need to be dealt with in the proper context, so it takes more time. Not to mention the common lack of space...

Also, either you are in charge of proofreading the whole site - and get paid for it - or you leave it up to the webmasters and you can expect weird things you never imagined possible.

It has VERY often happened to me that the webmaster realized after the translation was done that some words here and there had been left untranslated. Sometimes, they'll turn to Google, Babelfish, whatever, or ask someone who supposedly speaks the language. I had the unpleasant surprise of finding the sentence "Find Your Match" (i.e. finding an offer that corresponds to your needs) translated as "Trouvez votre allumette" (find your match, as in "do you have a light?").

Translating a website should be charged more than a regular translation, more like a technical text, in my opinion. But customers rarely agree...

xxxGabi Ancarol
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
thank you! Jan 2, 2007've been most helpful!
Thank you all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

web page translation

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs