Mobile menu

2007 translation rates (even) lower?
Thread poster: Laurens Landkroon

Laurens Landkroon  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:42
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 3, 2007

I read a lot of jobpostings (and get a lot of private requests from outsourcers), where agencies offer about 0.03 USD cents/word:
Is is just me, or are these people not really living in this world??
I realize that we are all fishing in a very very large pond, but com on, be realistic here !!

We have to maintain a certain PROFESSIONAL standard; agree ??

"how low can you go ??"

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-01-03 15:09]

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:42
SITE FOUNDER
Quoted rates are up Jan 3, 2007

For what it is worth, a quick review suggests that quoted rates are trending up, not insignificantly, over the last 18 months.

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Rates: I just increased them Jan 3, 2007

Well, I don't know about others but I just increased my rates for new clients as I felt that I had more experience and knowledge and could offer better services to my clients.

So guess these people are not really looking for my services

Regards,

Ritu

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:42
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Reduced rates Jan 3, 2007

I am not surprised that you are getting low-priced offers. Your ProZ profile mentions that

"I'm interested in working for non-profit/charity organisations ! (reduced rates!). "

This is very noble of you, and sets a good example to other members of ProZ.

But if I were an outsourcer, I would think it worthwhile to see whether those "reduced rates" were available to me as well.

Perhaps the answer would be to rephrase it by saying something like "Special rates for non-profit/charity organisations ONLY".

But don't give up the good work!

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:42
Member (2004)
English to Greek
+ ...
Rates Jan 3, 2007

I have to agree with Peter regarding your profile.

On the point, such rates are unacceptable and no professional translator with experience should accept such offers.

I have just increased substantially my rates to all my clients (after 2 years) and they were accepted without any complaints. This concurs Henry's view that rates are trending up and that clients who are happy with our work, are willing to pay them.

Keep up the good work, Laurens, and Happy New Year!!

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Result of market segmentation - why bother with rock-bottom feeders? Jan 3, 2007

Laurens Landkroon wrote:
Is is just me, or are these people not really living in this world??

See it the other way round - hopefully you don't have to live in their world. They serve the rock-bottom market segment you certainly don't want to be associated with. That being said, there'll always be this type of outsourcer.

Conclusion: Look up, not down - setting the course toward higher rates

Steffen

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 05:42
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Possible Cause Jan 3, 2007

Peter Linton wrote:

I am not surprised that you are getting low-priced offers. Your ProZ profile mentions that

"I'm interested in working for non-profit/charity organisations ! (reduced rates!). "

But if I were an outsourcer, I would think it worthwhile to see whether those "reduced rates" were available to me as well.

Perhaps the answer would be to rephrase it by saying something like "Special rates for non-profit/charity organisations ONLY".

But don't give up the good work!

I agree with what Peter said. The sentence, and particularly the phrase 'reduced rates,' invites rock-bottom outsourcers. His suggestion is worth considering.

To maintain a good market price, let us keep refusing any indecent offers. This attitude should be inculcated and promoted among we freelancers.

[Edited at 2007-01-03 20:45]

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:42
English to Spanish
Could it be... Jan 3, 2007

... that rates are going lower for entry-level translators, but not for established ones with a regular clientele? Please bear in mind that by "entry-level" I mean those who are beginning to market their services through the Internet, although they may well have years of experience.

I ask this because last year I saw both colleagues raising their rates (and keeping their clients) and colleagues complaining about low rate offers.

Same goes for me: I -slightly- raised my rates for my regular clients and they were accepted, but when trying to find new regulars have been offered low -sometimes, abysmal- rates and have known that, if I refuse them, there will always be another translator willing to accept them for whatever reasons (for the record, I have rejected all insulting offers so far). Therefore, I think that it may be true that initial rates are going down, but overall rates once the translator gets established are going up.

Anyway, the heat over here is melting my [only active] brain cell, so I hope you can make sense of what I tried to say.

Greetings all!

Kevin Pfeiffer  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
market your your work first Jan 8, 2007

Peter Linton wrote:

I would go one step further. Unless your first purpose in life is to work for charities and your rent comes second, I would suggest removing any such references and instead market yourself on the basis of your work. When charities then come to you, you can still offer them reduced rates. You could also list charities you have worked for as "current and past clients". This lets other charities know that you are conducive to working with them without saying "I'm cheap" quite so loudly.

-Kevin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2007 translation rates (even) lower?

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs