Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
XE.com as alternative to PayPal, Moneybookers, HSBC, Lloyds TSB, etc.?
Thread poster: Deborah Workman
Deborah Workman
Deborah Workman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MB and XE.com testimonials Mar 24, 2009

To owbu: I think your info about MB may not be quite correct. I have an MB account and am in the United States and have experienced no prohibition on receiving. What I have noticed is that MB restructured (probably to comply with US banking regs, as any responsible money transfer system would/should) and now processes payments through MB USA. I've observed a lot of negative pushback about MB from Europe, however, so while I've had no problems with MB except in the inital setup (verrrrry slow), I... See more
To owbu: I think your info about MB may not be quite correct. I have an MB account and am in the United States and have experienced no prohibition on receiving. What I have noticed is that MB restructured (probably to comply with US banking regs, as any responsible money transfer system would/should) and now processes payments through MB USA. I've observed a lot of negative pushback about MB from Europe, however, so while I've had no problems with MB except in the inital setup (verrrrry slow), I find my clients don't want to use it. Meantime, I don't want to use PayPal because of the high fees.

To N. M. Eklund: Thank you for your testimonial! I've been waiting to hear a positive and detailed endorsement of a European sender's experience using XE.com. I've forwarded your information to several of my European clients this morning. Hopefully, XE.com will simplify payment processing for all of them. Thanks again!
Collapse

Deborah Hoffman
Deborah Hoffman  Identity Verified

Russian to English
+ ...
in US and trying to receive Moneybookers Mar 27, 2009

My client tried to send this morning and received the following message:

"Payments between international customers and US customers using the Send Money service are not supported."

Deborah or anyone, is there a magic phrase to use with tech support so they can run the payment through Moneybookers USA? I opened a Moneybookers account a while back, which was probably before the USA division was created.

Thanks!

Deborah Workman
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In US and Moneybookers -- info from the source Mar 27, 2009

Deborah (H!), it was precisely because my international customers were experiencing problems with Moneybookers (and PayPal) that I started this thread about seeking alternatives.

I did write Moneybookers recently about being able to withdraw funds sent to me from international customers. I also inquired about owbu's statement that US customers can't receive through the service. Below is their response:

-----

We would like to kindly advise you that in order
... See more
Deborah (H!), it was precisely because my international customers were experiencing problems with Moneybookers (and PayPal) that I started this thread about seeking alternatives.

I did write Moneybookers recently about being able to withdraw funds sent to me from international customers. I also inquired about owbu's statement that US customers can't receive through the service. Below is their response:

-----

We would like to kindly advise you that in order for you to be able to access your balance, when you login to your Moneybookers account from our website, you should click on the link [Moneybookers International] link. {I FOUND THAT THIS LINK IS AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN AFTER I LOG IN. IN FACT I WAS ABLE TO VIEW MY "OLD" MONEYBOOKERS ACCOUNT STATUS THERE. THIS PROBABLY DOESN'T HELP YOU THOUGH SINCE YOU'RE TRYING TO RECEIVE A NEW TRANSMISSION.}

Please be kindly advised that when you login your Moneybookers account you will be automatically redirected to our new product for eBay sellers, which allows them to receive payments through Moneybookers. {THAT DIDN"T HAPPEN FOR ME, BUT I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT BECAUSE I'M NOT INTERESTED AND DON'T USE EBAY TO RECEIVE PAYMENTS. YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY, THOUGH, IF YOU HAVE AN EBAY ACCOUNT. YOU WILL SEE THE EBAY LINK ON THE MONEYBOOKERS SITE.} Please be advised that if you are an eBay seller and you would like to receive your eBay payments via Moneybookers, you should click on the link [get account enabled], next to the eBay icon and connect your Moneybookers with your eBay account by following the instructions on our website.

We hope you will find this information useful.

Please be advised that your balance of XXX USD is available in your moneybookers account and can be withdrawn at any time to your local bank.

Regarding the rumor - Moneybookers.com is temporary unavailable for US residents (end customers) as at the present moment we are developing new features and improving our services for the US market.

As stated above - we are proud to announce that Moneybookers is already payment provider for US Ebay Sellers and soon we will release further options.
Please be kindly advised that Moneybookers is a licensed payment provider and we are under the regulations of the Financial Services Authorities.
Detailed information related to our regulations can be found here:
http://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=ecrcpr
http://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=fsa

-----------

So it looks like receiving payment via Ebay is the way to use Moneybookers in the US at the moment. Meanwhile, I am putting my clients onto XE.com and asking them to evaluate it. While they are doing that, I have also used Western Union. (Easier and cheaper for both parties than fiddling with PayPal's different variants; in some countries the sender can initiate payment on line -- without having to go to a local WU office; the receiver does have to have a WU office nearby, which isn't too hard in most US locations.)

Deborah
Collapse

Deborah Hoffman

Russian to English
+ ...
so frustrating Mar 29, 2009

I can't find where to link my Moneybookers account to Ebay. On the main page when I click the Ebay icon I get prompted to login, but once I do so there is no further information about Ebay.

Though wouldn't I have to set up an auction for the translation transaction to do this?

I looked at XE, but it looks like it requires some setup verification from the sender, plus what the company terms "extra due diligence" from certain countries.

Argh.

Deborah Workman
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Moneybookers and eBay; paper checks as a solution Mar 29, 2009

I found that Moneybookers was helpfully responsive to an email query. Give them a try to find out the steps you need to go through to use their services through eBay. I suspect you do need an eBay ID (free) and to set yourself up as a seller (free). eBay might charge a small handling fee, but I doubt any auction fees would apply -- they have other sales categories.

Yes, Xe.com does place a setup burden on the sender, but as described in an earlier post on this thread by a sender, it
... See more
I found that Moneybookers was helpfully responsive to an email query. Give them a try to find out the steps you need to go through to use their services through eBay. I suspect you do need an eBay ID (free) and to set yourself up as a seller (free). eBay might charge a small handling fee, but I doubt any auction fees would apply -- they have other sales categories.

Yes, Xe.com does place a setup burden on the sender, but as described in an earlier post on this thread by a sender, it is well worth it. I'd really like to see my European clients use it. For years now we have been going through hassles with payment. Moneybookers was the best solution while it was supporting incoming US payments. Now that they're not, I just ask my customers to send me euro or sterling checks, which I deposit at my bank. It takes a little longer, but I pay no wire fees, and I can choose when to deposit the check, so I can "play" the exchange rate a little bit.
Collapse

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:38
English to Portuguese
Xoom.com? Mar 30, 2009

Does anyone have any experience with xoom.com? It seems to be pretty much what this topic calls for... a practical, straightforward way to send money to anyone anywhere, with low fees.

I never used it, so I wonder if it's any good?

noclue2
noclue2
Local time: 06:38
xe Apr 5, 2009

I'm an xe.com user, not a professional and use it for private stuff. they work fine, rates are a lot cheaper than banks, you need 2 bank accounts and it works just like they show you on the site. the only thing to be aware of is unless you're transferring to the usa, other transfers between currencies take about 20-25 euros which they say are due to the banks.

Deborah Workman
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, noclue2 , for another encouraging testimonial! Apr 6, 2009

That's two now. All the more reason to encourage my clients to try it.

You say you need two bank accounts? Do you mean one each for the sender and the receiver, or do you mean that the sender needs two?

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:38
French to English
+ ...
2 accounts Apr 6, 2009

You say you need two bank accounts? Do you mean one each for the sender and the receiver, or do you mean that the sender needs two?

One for the sender and one for the receiver. But you can also be the reciever. I sometimes send myself money to my US account if I'm going on vacation. It's better than changing the money and carrying all that cash with you.

[Edited at 2009-04-06 14:51 GMT]

kairu0
kairu0
Local time: 14:38
Delays? Apr 15, 2009

I've used XETrade over the past two years. I have never had any significant problems, but have had to prod them many times for a reply.

Recently, I've set up a new EFT account in my XETrade account, and been in the processing of verifying it. 4 emails and 9 days later, I haven't had a single response from them about the process.

Can anyone recommend a competing service that I should look at?

Deborah Hoffman

Russian to English
+ ...
rate for Western Union? May 26, 2009

Hi Deb,
What was the rate like for Western Union? I've not been able to find out what it's going to cost me to take payment this way, something to do with the spread? What was your experience? My country pair would be Russia or Ukraine > US, I'm assuming yours was Spain > US?

Deborah Workman wrote:
-----
While they are doing that, I have also used Western Union. (Easier and cheaper for both parties than fiddling with PayPal's different variants; in some countries the sender can initiate payment on line -- without having to go to a local WU office; the receiver does have to have a WU office nearby, which isn't too hard in most US locations.)

Deborah

Deborah Workman
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No fee to *receive* via WU, at least not in USA May 26, 2009

Hi, Deb

In my limited experience, there is no charge to receive. There may be a charge to exchange currency, however. In my case, I had invoiced in US dollars so the sender simply paid at her end the cost WU quoted to her in euros to deliver the specified US dollar amount. I understand that the fee was reasonable. If I had quoted in euros and received the payment in euros, my understanding (not my experience, since I have none in that direction) is that the exchange rate would have
... See more
Hi, Deb

In my limited experience, there is no charge to receive. There may be a charge to exchange currency, however. In my case, I had invoiced in US dollars so the sender simply paid at her end the cost WU quoted to her in euros to deliver the specified US dollar amount. I understand that the fee was reasonable. If I had quoted in euros and received the payment in euros, my understanding (not my experience, since I have none in that direction) is that the exchange rate would have been competitive in any case because of the volumes that WU deals in and that -- again -- the handling fee would have been reasonable. When you consider how usurious bank wire charges can be, WU could charge almost anything and you'd come out ahead!

I believe you can plug in the data for origination and destination countries plus currencies and amount to see what fees apply at http://www.westernunion.com/info/selectCountry.asp

Deb
Collapse

Deborah Hoffman

Russian to English
+ ...
ah.... May 27, 2009

Thank you for your assistance!

Deborah Workman wrote:

Hi, Deb

In my limited experience, there is no charge to receive. There may be a charge to exchange currency, however. In my case, I had invoiced in US dollars so the sender simply paid at her end the cost WU quoted to her in euros to deliver the specified US dollar amount. I understand that the fee was reasonable. If I had quoted in euros and received the payment in euros, my understanding (not my experience, since I have none in that direction) is that the exchange rate would have been competitive in any case because of the volumes that WU deals in and that -- again -- the handling fee would have been reasonable. When you consider how usurious bank wire charges can be, WU could charge almost anything and you'd come out ahead!

I believe you can plug in the data for origination and destination countries plus currencies and amount to see what fees apply at http://www.westernunion.com/info/selectCountry.asp

Deb

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:38
French to English
+ ...
XE.com improvements May 27, 2009

noclue2 wrote:

the only thing to be aware of is unless you're transferring to the usa, other transfers between currencies take about 20-25 euros which they say are due to the banks.

Just to let you know, XE.com recently sent me a message that they're putting in place the EFT system in Europe and other countries. Before, it was limited to North America.
This means that the transfers are free.

For information, after they change the money they can send it to the final destination account by wire, by EFT, or by draft check. Depending on their accounts, some banks can charge their customers a fee to receive and process wire transfers. BUT, EFTs are free.

So this is good news, and, for me, this means I may be able to start working with translators in the UK without paying extra costs to send money.

delmaracer (X)
delmaracer (X)
XE.com May 27, 2012

In the past week, I applied to XE.com to be able to TFR funds from my Citi bank account to my account in a Mexican bank. I WAS REFUSED. They said that it was due to the new currency restrictions. So I asked them to me more specific as to exactly which restrictions were those, and I have been ignored.
This is a real pain in the ass for us Expats.

So, if I were to be asked to grade XE.com, I would grade them an F

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XE.com as alternative to PayPal, Moneybookers, HSBC, Lloyds TSB, etc.?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »