Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 00:54
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 8, 2007

Hi all,

Another classic job offer for the archives. Notification received from an "inferior" competitive site:

Title:
"Champagne sought for the price of cheap plonk"

Ad:
"I am eager to buy excellent champagne, but I don't want to pay the going rate. Suppliers willing to sell their wares below the market price are invited to submit their bids. A free sample bottle will be required as a test of quality.

Chinese–English translators willing to work for peanuts are also welcome to apply. I'll hook you up with various agencies and pocket a few cents per word. Quality will not be tested, since everyone knows that it doesn't matter."

You really have to smile about it, but I just wonder how on earth the site would allow such a posting!

I've never actually used their forums before but I guess there's a first time for everything:)

All the best for 2007,
Mark

Direct link Reply with quote

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 15:54
Champagne tastes on a beer budget... Jan 8, 2007

Tell me that is not for real!

Orla

[Edited at 2007-01-08 21:24]

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 09:54
English to Russian
+ ...
Because this is the truth:-( Jan 8, 2007

If this is politically incorrect, I apologize... Just kill it.

Chinese Concept wrote:
Chinese–English translators willing to work for peanuts are also welcome to apply... Quality will not be tested, since everyone knows that it doesn't matter."

I don't know about Ch-EN but it seems that China now is a huge source of into Russian translations of worse than machine quality - as one of my colleagues said, there had to be a protein mass involved because many words simply do not exist, hence there could be no loading source... As if Russia does not have its own supply of 1-centers... We have a whole library of China-originated web pages and product descriptions in 'Russian' beyond recognition and beyond anybody's sense of humor...

www.waferworld.com

I wish everyone here could read Russian... I wonder if it's all the same in other languages but English? I'm very curious about French...

I wrote to the company representative enlightening him that he is selling silicon, aluminum, oxide etc. WAFFLES and the company name has been changed to Semi-Conductive Waffle-Light LLC. No reaction...

Let me try to do it backwards:

Technical supportS: may to ask your specials need in size through telephone. Smallest order may to be one waffle.
Face for contact [I wish... - i.n.]: Baoguo Zhang

I can't recreate in English all the fun coming from unmatched cases, tenses and genders...

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:54
French to English
Tongue in cheek, I suspect Jan 8, 2007

As a "lurker" on the site in question, I have a passing familiarity with the poster's contributions to the forums on the said site (for some reason, I immediately thought it had to be from there, went straight there and found it in 3 seconds flat). You will note that this is the poster's first job, whereas he has thousands of forum contributions to his name...

I couldn't be 100% certain, but I would imagine that the "job" was posted in jest, possibly in order to report back in some forum on the number and tenor of replies received. If I had time, I would have a look through their forums to see if a thread has already been started about it, but since I wouldn't be allowed to post a link to it, it would probably be of little use to anyone else here...

Nadejda Vega Cespedes  Identity Verified

Local time: 16:54
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
The Spanish version is no better Jan 9, 2007

IreneN wrote:

I wish everyone here could read Russian... I wonder if it's all the same in other languages but English? I'm very curious about French...

I had a look at the Spanish version, and it is exactly at the level of the Russian one, except that they also claim they can speak Spanish, so probably there was no external translator involved. And it is not a machine translation either because there are lots of mistakes that no computer would make. They do not even bother to use ñ where necessary, so that, for example, año (year) suddenly becomes ano (anus).

On the other hand, Italian seems ok and French, too. Perhaps it was on these two versions that they spent whatever budget was available...

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
Japanese to English
+ ...
Japanese Jan 9, 2007

The Japanese version is atrocious, beginning with the incorrect kanji for "Japanese".

And then there's the horrible Web design...

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
French sort of OK Jan 9, 2007

Hi all,
I had a look at the French version. It's not too bad, but not perfect either, with a number of typos and sentences that make it obvious it's a translation. I'm disappointed, the mistakes are not even funny!
So either they had a very small budget and got what they deserved, or they paid for a low-quality job without knowing it...

Marie-Céline

Joost Elshoff  Identity Verified
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
More about the Spanish version Jan 9, 2007

Nadejda Sokolova wrote:

I had a look at the Spanish version, and it is exactly at the level of the Russian one, except that they also claim they can speak Spanish, so probably there was no external translator involved. And it is not a machine translation either because there are lots of mistakes that no computer would make. They do not even bother to use ñ where necessary, so that, for example, año (year) suddenly becomes ano (anus).

That's not the only one... there are plenty of orthographical errors there... not to mention translations that are totally out of place, such as Superconductor -> Genial conducta (I wonder if the translator even knew what a superconductor is). Or any other of the misunderstood and ill translated words in the original version.

Not a very professional site either... anyone with basic knowledge of HTML would be able to build something better than that...

lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
The Chinese part is also awful Jan 9, 2007

"中國人" in fact means "Chinese people", not the "Chinese" language. So this is not a problem of how some people translated this site, but whether this site was translated by some people.

BTW, I haven't seen enough evidence that this site was translated by Chinese translators.

Nadejda Vega Cespedes  Identity Verified

Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Don't get me wrong Jan 9, 2007

Joost Elshoff wrote:

That's not the only one...

Did I say it was the only one?

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Would this count as evidence? Jan 9, 2007

lbone wrote:

"中國人" in fact means "Chinese people", not the "Chinese" language. So this is not a problem of how some people translated this site, but whether this site was translated by some people.

BTW, I haven't seen enough evidence that this site was translated by Chinese translators.

日本语 is Chinese for Japanese, isn't it? That last character is not found in Japanese, and no Japanese translator would use it.

(This is not a criticism of Chinese translators in general.)

Scott Horne  Identity Verified
A confession Jan 10, 2007

I am the author of that "job" posting. I thought that everyone would be able to recognise it as a parody of the sleazy agencies responsible for 99% of the jobs posted at this site and The Other, but quite a few people took it seriously and rushed to send me their résumés. One native anglophone correctly read it as a joke; three or four others offered their services. Numerous non-natives also sent submissions, despite my clear indication that only native speakers of the target language (English) would be considered; several of them went so far as to ensure me, in obviously foreign English, that they write English "perfectly".

The biggest disappointment is that not one person responded to my request for dirt-cheap champagne. When 90% of agencies expect to buy professional services for peanuts, what's wrong with asking where $5 will buy a jeroboam of Dom Pérignon?

Scott Horne

Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 00:54
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's all about education Jan 10, 2007

Scott Horne wrote:

A confession

I am the author of that "job" posting.

Hi Scott and thanks for coming forward. I went back to look through the forums on that site but by that time your "job":) had been removed and I couldn't remember the name of the person who posted it to do a search.

That is pretty tragic that some people actually took it seriously and applied, although I guess not surprising at the same time. There are sadly way too many job offers out there like that, that are genuine and still people continue to apply for them.

Don't they realise that things will never improve until they have some self-respect and respect for the profession they're in and demand decent rates and only apply for jobs, which at least pay the average global market rate.

Let 2007 unite translators around the world and educate both other translators and outsourcers. To translators who accept less, "You deserve more!" and to outsourcers who want cheap translations, "Your clients are paying you for quality so you in turn should be prepared to pay for quality otherwise you shouldn't be in the business!"

A successful and properous New Year to everyone:)

Mark

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 09:54
English to Russian
+ ...
I second that Jan 10, 2007

Can Altinbay wrote:
This is not a criticism of Chinese translators in general.

and Mark's wishes.

After all, for ages Chinese and Russian masterpieces have been enriching both nations as well as the entire mankind, all thanks to the translators! We must do our best not to fail our predecessors. Among other things, I grew up with a 1.5-inch thick book of Chinese fairy tales (in Russian:-))

Scott Horne  Identity Verified
Hypocrisy Jan 11, 2007

Chinese Concept wrote:

To translators who accept less, "You deserve more!"

Many translators deserve less. Most of the people calling themselves translators shouldn't be in the business at all, so poor is the quality of their work.

The present thread illustrates my point. Some of the people who are grumbling about horrible non-native translations offer to translate into English even though their English is very obviously foreign.

Scott Horne

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No bids for this job...I wonder why!

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums