UK-based Translators
Thread poster: RosaT
RosaT
RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:19
Nov 18, 2002

Hello all,

I am a freelance translator based in the UK and so far all my clients are in this country as well. I was wondering if any of you could let me know how to go about invoicing foreign clients. Do I just send the same invoices in the same way I do for the UK and then declare my earnings and taxes as I would normally do on self-assessment?

Thanks for any help.

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:19
English to German
+ ...
Basically, yes Nov 18, 2002

But I invoice my overseas clients in their currency, work out how much it is in £ and enter the amount in my books. But I do have a Euro bank account in Germany where most of my European clients are. It makes it cheaper for them and for me since they just transfer the money. If you have to pay in foreign cheques at your UK bank you will probably pay hefty fees as will your foreign clients if they transfer the money from their bank to yours.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:19
English to German
+ ...
Show sterling amounts as well Nov 18, 2002

If you invoice in a foreign currency, make sure that the invoice also contains the sterling equivalents (particularly if VAT is involved).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK-based Translators

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »