Percentage charged for non-100% and repeats using Trados
Thread poster: Richard Grant
Richard Grant
Richard Grant  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:16
French to English
Jan 30, 2007

Would anyone have any ideas on the percentage of full price to charge clients on repeats and various degrees of non-100% matches when using Trados? Can you quote me your suggested structure?

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:16
French to English
+ ...
Depends... Jan 30, 2007

I don't have a set structure. I do use Trados but mainly for my own benefit - so I have some clients who have never mentioned it, and for them I can sometimes produce work more quickly than I otherwise would, and with greater consistency, which benefits both them and me.

A few clients have requested Trados discounts - they will usually suggest a structure, on the basis of which we negotiate. The usual result is that I end up charging up to 50% (if I can) for 100% matches and repeat
... See more
I don't have a set structure. I do use Trados but mainly for my own benefit - so I have some clients who have never mentioned it, and for them I can sometimes produce work more quickly than I otherwise would, and with greater consistency, which benefits both them and me.

A few clients have requested Trados discounts - they will usually suggest a structure, on the basis of which we negotiate. The usual result is that I end up charging up to 50% (if I can) for 100% matches and repeats, provided any TM supplied is of good quality. If they refuse to pay for 100% matches, I refuse to look at said matches, and put a large disclaimer on the finished product, usually also pointing out any specific quality worries I have.

As for fuzzy matches - I find anything below 75% is just as much work as a translation from scratch, so I try to charge full price for them.

On principle, I never offer Trados discounts if the agency hasn't mentioned them. You can bet anything you like that the agency is invoicing their client for the full amount. If the agency passes the discount on to their customer (they usually mention this on their website) then that's a different matter.
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I only give discounts on the basis of my own TM Jan 30, 2007

Hi Richard,

I only give discounts for matches based on my own TM. That is, I give discounts if I have translated several documents in a series (the same court case), because I know that I do save a lot of time if chunks of the new document are already there in the TM. However, I would not give any discounts on a TM that an agency sent me, created by someone else, because of the work involving in checking the previous translations.

I give the following discounts if appli
... See more
Hi Richard,

I only give discounts for matches based on my own TM. That is, I give discounts if I have translated several documents in a series (the same court case), because I know that I do save a lot of time if chunks of the new document are already there in the TM. However, I would not give any discounts on a TM that an agency sent me, created by someone else, because of the work involving in checking the previous translations.

I give the following discounts if applicable:

100% for 100% matches
75% for 95 - 99% matches
50% for 85 - 94% matches.

Astrid
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Percentage charged for non-100% and repeats using Trados Jan 30, 2007

Try searching the forums, e.g. for fuzzy match discounts.

Marc

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
discount Jan 30, 2007

The following has worked out well for me
100% matches and repetitions 0% discount
95-99% fuzzy matches 0% discount
85-94% matches 0% discount
under 85% matches 0% discount

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:16
English to French
+ ...
The point of fuzzy matches Jan 30, 2007

Angela Dickson wrote:

Angela sums it up nicely. Fuzzy matches are not meant to generate rebates on your work, they are meant to accelerate the pace at which you work and to help with consistency. This is already a valuable advantage to your client and I don't see why you should, on top of offering them this, offer rebates.

I do offer 100% mathes free of charge to well established clients who pay sound rates - but I don't ever go any further, that is, I don't offer any kind of rebate on fuzzy matches.

If you really feel it is necessary to offer rebates, Astrid's scheme looks good. Don't ever offer rebates on matches lower than 85% - anything below that needs often as much work as a no match segment, and you should be paid accordingly.

Please, do consider Angela's argument. After investing money to work faster and more efficiently, I don'T see why you should actually be paid less - by being a fast and efficient translator, you should actually be entitled to more, not less! Don't give in to the Trados Temptation

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:16
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sound advice Jan 30, 2007

A lot of sound advice in these replies, particularly Angela Dickson's point that it is all a question of negotiation depending on circumstances, not a set structure of rates.

My own approach is to look at whatever the customer is offering or asking in terms of discounts, and then decide whether the job is financially worthwhile. In other words, I look at the rate per day, not the rate per word.

I was once offered a job at one eurocent a word. It was an update to a tec
... See more
A lot of sound advice in these replies, particularly Angela Dickson's point that it is all a question of negotiation depending on circumstances, not a set structure of rates.

My own approach is to look at whatever the customer is offering or asking in terms of discounts, and then decide whether the job is financially worthwhile. In other words, I look at the rate per day, not the rate per word.

I was once offered a job at one eurocent a word. It was an update to a technical user guide that I had previously translated, and which the customer has approved. It was about 95% repetition. Thanks to that, the job was very quick, and was actually quite lucrative, despite the apparently outrageous price of 1 cent per word.
Collapse

Richard Grant
Richard Grant  Identity Verified
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all for your helpful advice and quick response Jan 31, 2007

Peter Linton wrote:

I was once offered a job at one eurocent a word. It was an update to a technical user guide that I had previously translated, and which the customer has approved. It was about 95% repetition. Thanks to that, the job was very quick, and was actually quite lucrative, despite the apparently outrageous price of 1 cent per word.

I'd just like to thank everybody for their good advice which I'll be able to follow up on now. I thoroughly agree with the ideas you all expressed and will act on them pronto!

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 05:16
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
I like Michele's scheme :) Feb 2, 2007

I think that for languages that have genders, multiple endings, etc., this scheme is really fair Well, I'd charge some 25 per cent for 100 matches, and some 75 per cent 95-100 (trying not to be that tough), but for all the rest - 100 per cent. And the best is (if it is possible) - not to let the client know that you use Trados (as long as the client does not demand it and you use it just for "youself")... See more
I think that for languages that have genders, multiple endings, etc., this scheme is really fair Well, I'd charge some 25 per cent for 100 matches, and some 75 per cent 95-100 (trying not to be that tough), but for all the rest - 100 per cent. And the best is (if it is possible) - not to let the client know that you use Trados (as long as the client does not demand it and you use it just for "youself")Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Percentage charged for non-100% and repeats using Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »