Thread poster: Michael Bauer
Michael Bauer
Michael Bauer
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:16
English to Scottish Gaelic
+ ...
Feb 1, 2007

Wondering whether anyone else has come across this as it's new to me.

For the second time in 2 months I've been contacted by someone from India about "future cooperation". The last one was from a chap on a gmail account with an indian mobile number given as the only other contact. As I decided I was not likely going to get any work out of him (my main pair is EnglishScots Gaelic) I made further enquiries, especially about company contact details. He stated that he's working freel
... See more
Wondering whether anyone else has come across this as it's new to me.

For the second time in 2 months I've been contacted by someone from India about "future cooperation". The last one was from a chap on a gmail account with an indian mobile number given as the only other contact. As I decided I was not likely going to get any work out of him (my main pair is EnglishScots Gaelic) I made further enquiries, especially about company contact details. He stated that he's working freelance as an agent but ever since I replied that I would consider it but only if I had a contact address and deposits on any project until I could be convinced he's gen, he's gone silent.

It sounds a bit too weird for a scam but then it's the second one of its kind I've seen now. Anyone else seen one?

le meas mór,

Michael

[Edited at 2007-02-01 13:31]
Collapse

Prabhat Ghosh
Prabhat Ghosh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:46
English to Bengali
+ ...
Scams are everywhere Feb 3, 2007

Dear Michael,

Just going through postings yours' concern struck me.

Yes you are very much right. So many imposters out there, who are maybe just starters or pose as agents of bigwig firms. I also have same kind of experiences, they were from Rome, Egypt, Helsinki, Toronto, Bangkok, Beijing, and yes from London also.

I've reported these facts time to time, but never marked them relating to their nations. Imposters are individuals. Don't you think alike?... See more
Dear Michael,

Just going through postings yours' concern struck me.

Yes you are very much right. So many imposters out there, who are maybe just starters or pose as agents of bigwig firms. I also have same kind of experiences, they were from Rome, Egypt, Helsinki, Toronto, Bangkok, Beijing, and yes from London also.

I've reported these facts time to time, but never marked them relating to their nations. Imposters are individuals. Don't you think alike?

Best regards

Prabhat Ghosh
Collapse

Michael Bauer
Michael Bauer
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:16
English to Scottish Gaelic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scams Feb 3, 2007

Prabhat,

Of course scams are everywhere but they also have the tendency to come in clusters. You may remember the "travelling diplomat" scam which appeared some time ago and there is no denying that certain types of scam are particulary popular in certain areas.

I simply had to find a way of naming this one - and since it's ProZ forum policy not to name individuals, what was I to call it? All I had to go by was a phone number with an Indian country code and a chap wit
... See more
Prabhat,

Of course scams are everywhere but they also have the tendency to come in clusters. You may remember the "travelling diplomat" scam which appeared some time ago and there is no denying that certain types of scam are particulary popular in certain areas.

I simply had to find a way of naming this one - and since it's ProZ forum policy not to name individuals, what was I to call it? All I had to go by was a phone number with an Indian country code and a chap with a very Indian sounding name claiming to be from Chennai.

I'm somehow equally concerned with your response - there was no suggestion in my email that because of this email I consider all Indians fraudsters ... and to suggest that I find somewhat upsetting especially since I am half asian myself.

I was just curious to hear whether anyone else had received this particular apparent scam. That's all.

Regards

Michael
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:16
English to German
+ ...
Not Michael's fault Feb 3, 2007

Hi,

I simply had to find a way of naming this one - and since it's ProZ forum policy not to name individuals, what was I to call it? All I had to go by was a phone number with an Indian country code and a chap with a very Indian sounding name claiming to be from Chennai.

Michael is right - I asked him to remove the name from his posting. Thanks for editing your posting, Michael!

Best regards,
Ralf

Adi Al-Ka'bi
Adi Al-Ka'bi
Local time: 08:16
Arabic to English
+ ...
Addresses Feb 24, 2007

Though ones address is an important matter, but there are many countries that don't have postal addresses. Everyone's postal address in some countries is a P.O. Box No. if he has one or one uses a friend's P.O. Box No. They don't have postman deliveries to your door. I've twice lived in such countries, one of them now. In fact in 9 years here I've never used anyone's P.O. Box number, except the hotel's P.O. Box No., which I stayed at when I first came here.

All sorts of deliveries
... See more
Though ones address is an important matter, but there are many countries that don't have postal addresses. Everyone's postal address in some countries is a P.O. Box No. if he has one or one uses a friend's P.O. Box No. They don't have postman deliveries to your door. I've twice lived in such countries, one of them now. In fact in 9 years here I've never used anyone's P.O. Box number, except the hotel's P.O. Box No., which I stayed at when I first came here.

All sorts of deliveries like DHL or FEDEX are done via phone numbers. They call you and you direct them to where you are. Or give them your building name and flat number and direct them to the nearest grocery and tell them to ask the grocer where your building is.

Most people here don't know their street number or building number. The only times you need such info is when you are paying the water and electricity bill and that info is on a previous bill which you take with you to pay.

Phone numbers are not enough and it's worse with mobile numbers. But anyway I don't deal with anyone overseas unless it's a pay-in-advance job.

Ask them for the name of their buildings, flat number and nearest grocer if it's of any relevance. But if it's a matter of addresses and why some won't supply them, it's because that system of P.O. Boxes only available is the situation in many countries, especially Arabian Gulf and South East Asian countries. You can confirm that by looking into postal addresses of different business in a country, on the web sites of businesses in that country. If they all give P.O. Boxes only, that's the situation there. Anyway I don't know about India. You'll have to check that from a sample check on a few Indian web sites on the Internet.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible Indian Scam?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »