current rate per word
Thread poster: maria beatrice panico
maria beatrice panico
Local time: 20:51
English to Italian
Feb 4, 2007

hi to everyone. I'm a newbie. Is there anyone who can tell me what the current rate per word is for English to Italian translation ?
Thank youuuuuu

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
it depends... Feb 5, 2007

Hi "eudeia",

the answer is more complex than it seems It depends on the field, the complexity of the text and also on the market (Country), whether agency or direct client, the translation is sold to, just to mention a couple of factors... and of course your expertise.

Each translator ought also to do some maths about his/her own costs and expenses, making sure that the offered rate does cover them and allow to make an acceptable living, before accepting/offering (blindly) any rate.

Giuliana

maria beatrice panico
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
current rate Feb 5, 2007

dear giuliana,
thank you for your kind reply...I hope to start working very soon...guess I'll have to try and learn day by day...but if everyone has some good advice. please feel free to post here.
have a nice day
maribea

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
It's sometimes called ... Feb 5, 2007

Due diligence

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Hi "eudeia",

the answer is more complex than it seems It depends on the field, the complexity of the text and also on the market (Country), whether agency or direct client, the translation is sold to, just to mention a couple of factors... and of course your expertise.

Each translator ought also to do some maths about his/her own costs and expenses, making sure that the offered rate does cover them and allow to make an acceptable living, before accepting/offering (blindly) any rate.

Giuliana

And a good place to start is the FAQ on rates:
http://www.proz.com/faq/rates#rate_calc

The "rate calculator" is also a very good way to see what you should be charging.

And when you have entered you language pairs, you can select "Rates" under the "Jobs" tab, and see an excellent overveiw of what the max, min and average charges are, and where you lie on the chart, if you have entered your own charges.

As always, the answer lies within the community pages of ProZ.com

Welcome to the exciting world of "deciding-what-to-charge-my-clients"!!

Bill (STILL learning, and adjusting!!)

maria beatrice panico
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
current rate Feb 5, 2007

dear Bill,
thank you very much for the kind reply. I think I have many things to learn about this job. But I'll keep on and I'm sure I'll succeed!!!
Hope to find as many good guys as you...
have a nice day
maria beatrice

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

current rate per word

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs