current rate russian to english
Thread poster: arinka
arinka
United States
Local time: 07:23
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 8, 2007

Hi all! I'm new to this, just got asked to translate 5 pages or so of text from Russian to English, need to know how much to charge per word...Any suggestions? A friend suggested charging $125 for the first 1000 words and then charging at least 30c per word, but I would like to make sure first that this is reasonable...

Direct link Reply with quote

Zamira*****  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:23
Member (2006)
English to Uzbek
+ ...
at least 30c per word?? did I get it right? Feb 8, 2007

arinka wrote:

Hi all! I'm new to this, just got asked to translate 5 pages or so of text from Russian to English, need to know how much to charge per word...Any suggestions? A friend suggested charging $125 for the first 1000 words and then charging at least 30c per word, but I would like to make sure first that this is reasonable...

Hi, if you manage to charge your client this rate for this pair consider youself VERY lucky. Min, target and max rate according to Proz is 7, 10, and 18 cents a word.

Zamira

[Edited at 2007-02-08 15:05]

[Edited at 2007-02-08 15:06]

arinka
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
russian to english Feb 8, 2007

Zamira,

Thanks! That's what I thought, but since the friend worked for a translation agency I wondered if she might be right...

-Irina

[Edited at 2007-02-08 15:28]

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Corrections Feb 8, 2007

Hi Zamira Those stats are AVERAGES - mean mininum, mean target and mean maximum. The absolute minimum is probably under 1 cent/word.

However, Arinka, there's something really wrong with what your friend suggested. If you charged $125 for the first 1000 words, that would be 12.5 cents per word. A decent rate for the U.S. So, if one were willing to do half a day's work at 12.5 cents/word, why go higher on the rest?

That said, you're welcome to charge anything you want

[Edited at 2007-02-08 17:08]

Boris Sigalov
Local time: 15:23
English to Russian
Mistake in calculations Feb 8, 2007

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

The absolute minimum is probably under 1 cent/word.

'Absolute minimum' is 'free of charge'... Which is a better option to anything lower than $0.02...

Normal rate for the US is $0.10-0.12

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:23
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Average rates in ProZ.com Feb 8, 2007

Zamira Balgabaeva wrote:
Min, target and max rate according to Proz is 7, 10, and 18 cents a word.

I would like to point out that those rates are not according to ProZ.com but, just to avoid misunderstandings, the average of the rates provided by a number of ProZ.com members.

The site aggregates, for each language pair, the average minimum rate declared and the average target rate declared.

No other parameter is taken into consideration, but in the real world the rates may vary greatly according to a multitude of factors and may change for each specific project, including time available, format, subject, specialization of the translator in that field and many more.

The max. rate quoted is only an artifical value calculated as 2.5 times the minimum rate, and it has no real corrispondence in the real world.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2007-02-08 23:57]

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Please do not be facetious Feb 8, 2007

Hi Boris, that may be funny, but no one will list a rate of zero.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:23
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Misunderstanding? Feb 9, 2007

Maybe your friend misunderstood you and told you the rate the agency charges its clients.

Zamira*****  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Member (2006)
English to Uzbek
+ ...
to Mikhail & Gianfranco Feb 9, 2007

Thanks for your clarifications. I know these are averages and I know they based on data Proz members supply. However your input is useful for those who may not know it and so I stand corrected. Cheers. Zamira

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:23
English to German
+ ...
Just wondering... Feb 9, 2007

Arinka, you have stated your rates per word / per hour for this language pair on your profile page. Why don't you use those?

Best,

Nicole

arinka
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
stated rates Feb 12, 2007

Nicole:

You're absolutely right, of course. The question came up because the prospective client was represented to me as a firm willing and able to pay the maximum current rates, and I wanted to find out where my own stated rates fit on the spectrum.

And yes, my friend wasn't a translator but a "middleman" between translators and clients, and must have told me the rates her firm charged, not what the translators themselves charged in her experience.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

current rate russian to english

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs