Thread poster: aruna yallapragada
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
Flemish to English
+ ...
EU-guideline Feb 9, 2007

According to a E.U.-guideline with regard to combatting late payments it is 30 days and not a day more.
After 30 days, you are entitled to claim the ECB's interest-rate + your own rate for late payments.

Meanwhile that guideline has been implemented in ALL E.U.-countries, France included. However, it is difficult to change old habits. Unless everybody puts that piece of legislation on the back of their invoices and insists on their rights, nothing is going to change.
... See more
According to a E.U.-guideline with regard to combatting late payments it is 30 days and not a day more.
After 30 days, you are entitled to claim the ECB's interest-rate + your own rate for late payments.

Meanwhile that guideline has been implemented in ALL E.U.-countries, France included. However, it is difficult to change old habits. Unless everybody puts that piece of legislation on the back of their invoices and insists on their rights, nothing is going to change.

A Christmas Carol: A week before Christmas, I got an invoice of my telephone-company. Payment delay : one week. The invoice had to be paid before Christmas. Given the holiday period, I waited until the beginning of January. On the third of January, I got a reminder, posted on the first of January.
The fine for sending that reminder was £7.5/9 euros.

If we all became as strict as that telephone-company, it would be a lot healthier for our bank-account and nerves.

Anyway, I send one reminder with the same fee for reminding that my invoice is overdue. If payment does not come, I give the matter in the hands of a credit-collection firm. : A policy, I picked up at a multinational.

[Edited at 2007-02-09 20:02]
Collapse

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:54
French to English
+ ...
Could you give us the link please? Feb 9, 2007

Hi Williamson,

Could you post the link to that directive, and whatever implementation measures have been taken in various countries?

It is a good thing to add, though I doubt it can help much. I make my terms clear and it does not endear me with clients that I will send them a reminder within a week payment is late. Do you know anyone for whom this has worked and/or who has been able to collect late payment fees??

Cheers,

Patricia

Harry Hermawan
Harry Hermawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:54
English to Indonesian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
60 to 90? Wow Feb 9, 2007

Paula Delgado wrote:
But I can tell you one thing, here in Portugal the practice in a lot of places is paying 90 days, and some times even 120 days after invoice. That I don't accept. The maximum for me it's those 60 days...

Phew...Can we do anything about this? I mean we do have a forum. I know it's a business practice to delay payments after receiving invoices but 60 to 90 days.

We should DO something here with our 'togetherness' at Proz.
Oh, I wish we could do that. Abracadabra...or am I missing out here?

[Edited at 2007-02-09 22:51]

aruna yallapragada
aruna yallapragada  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hope... Feb 10, 2007

After reading all the postings it is a consolation to note that there are others who also had to wait for long periods for payments. As I agreed to wait, I will wait. I only hope that the waiting does not get longer. In my eagerness to get the job, I overlooked this point. Now I know better. Should I send a reminder or is it not the done thing?

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
Flemish to English
+ ...
Link Feb 10, 2007

Patricia Lane wrote:

Hi Williamson,

Could you post the link to that directive, and whatever implementation measures have been taken in various countries?

It is a good thing to add, though I doubt it can help much. I make my terms clear and it does not endear me with clients that I will send them a reminder within a week payment is late. Do you know anyone for whom this has worked and/or who has been able to collect late payment fees??

Cheers,

Patricia

The directive:
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/regulation/late_payments/index.htm
It has been implemented in ALL the E.U.-Member states, (France included). The link to the transposition is on the website.
Don't forget to put at least a couple of the articles of these laws on the backside of your invoice.
My telephone-company does not endear me either. However, I have to pay a fine for late payment (one week overdue). I could change of telephone company, but this would be more costly than paying the fine.
The telephone company does not work with "Terms of Endearment", but with very strict payment terms: It sends one invoice and demands payment within usually three weeks, it sends one reminder with a fine and if you don't pay then, it simply cuts of your telephone-connection.

By sticking to a strickt payment policy, you will get a healthy cash-flow and "healthy" customers. Believe me, customers who come to you because in fact you give them a free loan are of no use to you. And how "financially healthy" are the one's who have to get paid by their customers first before they pay you?
If everybody in Europe stuck to the guideline, it would make our lives easier.

[Edited at 2007-02-10 10:29]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Answer given before the question... negotiate! Feb 10, 2007

Harry Hermawan wrote:

Phew...Can we do anything about this? I mean we do have a forum. I know it's a business practice to delay payments after receiving invoices but 60 to 90 days.

We should DO something here with our 'togetherness' at Proz.
Oh, I wish we could do that. Abracadabra...or am I missing out here?

The answer is on the first page, actually...

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

As translators, we should not be hesitant to negotiate terms of payment. Agencies offer their terms, and we should offer our own terms, too. If they are congruent, good; if not, negotiation is necessary.

The relationship between agencies and translators should be viewed as a kind of equivalent partnership. They need us, and we need them. No one is higher/lower than the other.

Thus, should we be afraid of negotiating terms of payment?

Not at all.

Best regards,
Ralf

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Feb 10, 2007

You can state your terms.
You can negotiate terms.
Both parties can be in agreement.
You can put those terms on your PO, on your bill, on a billboard for that matter!

While this provides you with a legal basis for action if there is a problem, it is no guarantee that the agency is going to respect what it in fact agreed to and signed off on.

THAT is the problem.

I've never had a non-payment issue, but I have had to remind clients that thei
... See more
You can state your terms.
You can negotiate terms.
Both parties can be in agreement.
You can put those terms on your PO, on your bill, on a billboard for that matter!

While this provides you with a legal basis for action if there is a problem, it is no guarantee that the agency is going to respect what it in fact agreed to and signed off on.

THAT is the problem.

I've never had a non-payment issue, but I have had to remind clients that their bill is past due. What a waste of time and a lack of professionalism.

Cheers,

Patricia
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:54
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Waiting for The Dough Feb 10, 2007

I generally won't agree to more than 30 days. The only exception I make is for one existing client who sends me a lot of work. They have a cleverly-worded "30 day" policy which, if you read it carefully, amounts to a 65-day payment policy, and even with that they're usually a week or two late. For now, I'm letting it slide.

As for the EU regulation that one person mentioned, my recollection is that it makes 30 days the default term of payment *unless otherwise agreed to in advance o
... See more
I generally won't agree to more than 30 days. The only exception I make is for one existing client who sends me a lot of work. They have a cleverly-worded "30 day" policy which, if you read it carefully, amounts to a 65-day payment policy, and even with that they're usually a week or two late. For now, I'm letting it slide.

As for the EU regulation that one person mentioned, my recollection is that it makes 30 days the default term of payment *unless otherwise agreed to in advance of the job*.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment after 60 days....

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »