Payment after 60 days....
Thread poster: aruna yallapragada
aruna yallapragada  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:23
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 9, 2007

I may sound ignorant about this. In many of the job postings, it is said that the payment will be done 30 days/60 days from the date of invoice. My question is why does it take so long? I have done a translation recently with payment due only after 60 days. I am willing to wait, but curiosity got the better of me. Could any one enlighten me please?

Direct link Reply with quote

Veronica Coquard
France
Local time: 18:53
French to English
A typical delay Feb 9, 2007

I would say this is a typical delay.

If it's an agency, they will give themselves the time to receive the client's payment before paying you.

Good luck!

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Payment after 60 days Feb 9, 2007

My question is why does it take so long?

Because you agreed to it. The client basically gets a loan from you with 0% interest, which is very convenient for them, but not for you. Your rates should reflect that.

aruna yallapragada  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:23
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Feb 9, 2007

Thanks for the prompt reply. Just shows how really naive I am. I just did't think about ti from that angle. I thought it was for getting any clarifications regarding the translation or any corrections that have to be done.

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
60 days: far too long Feb 9, 2007

aruna yallapragada wrote:

I have done a translation recently with payment due only after 60 days. I am willing to wait,

You should not be willing to wait. I did, a few times, until I got fed up and thought it was ridiculous to accept such terms. Now, when I quote, I mention that I do not accept payment over 30 days. And that is that. Nobody pleaded for longer terms of payment.

I also object to jobs for 30 EUR being paid 30 days after!

If all translators refused these terms we would be treated honorably and not like slaves.

[Edited at 2007-02-09 10:56]

[Edited at 2007-02-09 10:59]

Faruk Atabeyli  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:53
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Interest plus risk Feb 9, 2007

The loan you are providing them is not only interest free it is also collateral free. That means you carry the risk of the loan. I reflect that on my rates until I get to know the agency and its payment practices better.

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
The funniest excuse yet Feb 9, 2007

My terms are 30 days net. I inform agencies of this up front - by email, phone, it is on my bid, my po, my bill.

And still, I have to run after payment and send reminders. The first reminder goes out about a week after the ultimate due date.

I have one right now for which I have sent 2 reminders. First email did not even get a reply. After the second email, I received a one liner that said " We do not control postal delays."

What is funny is that such companies do not see how this is a bad reflection on them. We are made to feel responsible for being professional about such things!

Have a good day anyway!

Patricia

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
In European Union : 30 days should be the maximum Feb 9, 2007

That is, according to the European regulation.

Lot of countries still haven't changed their own national regulation to comply with the EU.
France is one of the worst : 60 days is common, even more when working with gouvernment agencies ad other public administration.

Thanks to globalisation, I don't have to keep working with French agencies only.

Paula Delgado  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
60 days is too much but... Feb 9, 2007

Hi,

I have 3 or 4 agencies that pay in the very same day that I sent the invoice but I also have others that pay me 60 days after they receive the invoice. To speak the truth, I don't mind, because I have always money entering my account. As long as they're serious, it's ok.

But I can tell you one thing, here in Portugal the practice in a lot of places is paying 90 days, and some times even 120 days after invoice. That I don't accept. The maximum for me it's those 60 days...

Regards,
Paula

xxxZZZZZZ
German to English
My experience Feb 9, 2007

My experience has been that companies with "60 day payment" policies usually take much longer (more like 3 months or even longer). There is a big German company I no longer work for that says 60 days but practices 4 months or more, on top of losing a lot of invoices.

A lot of companies pay within a month, some even pay faster. I no longer have any use for companies that try to institute policies that are as exploitive as possible. They are usually weasels in other areas as well.

Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 09:53
English to Spanish
That's way too long Feb 9, 2007

I agree with Paula that 60 days is far too long to collect. Perhaps I have been lucky, but I have not had any payment problems from any of my clients. Not even a delay. So far all of them have paid me on the dot.

Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lost In The Shuffle Feb 9, 2007

I did a lot of work for one agency in France that made it clear they had a delay of 90 days for payment. I decided to go ahead and do the work anyway and they gave me a lot of work. The last time I worked for them was in August. They claimed they didn't have my invoices when I sent them a collection letter a month ago (and a couple since). I know they have the invoices (unless they gave me a bogus e-mail address to send them to) because I didn't get a FAILURE NOTICE.

I find that most translation agencies state on their PO's that payment follows 60 days after they receive the invoice, but in my experience, this has never happened. It seems like you get lost in the shuffle, that they conveniently (for them) forget about all the painstaking, on time work (which they gave you positive feedback on) that you did for them.

I now have a client (not a translation agency) who pays HALF of my fee for a project (always large) up front. And the remainder within 2 hours after receipt of my invoice once I have submitted the entire project.

I'm sure it wouldn't surprise any of you to know that if an agency approaches me with a large assignment, I always contact the client who advances me half to make sure he doesn't have anything coming up for me within the few days following an agency's request.

[Edited at 2007-02-09 17:17]

[Edited at 2007-02-09 17:18]

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:53
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Importance of Negotiation Feb 9, 2007

As translators, we should not be hesitant to negotiate terms of payment. Agencies offer their terms, and we should offer our own terms, too. If they are congruent, good; if not, negotiation is necessary.

The relationship between agencies and translators should be viewed as a kind of equivalent partnership. They need us, and we need them. No one is higher/lower than the other.

Thus, should we be afraid of negotiating terms of payment?

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:53
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Delays in payments Feb 9, 2007

Paula Delgado wrote:

But I can tell you one thing, here in Portugal the practice in a lot of places is paying 90 days, and some times even 120 days after invoice. That I don't accept. The maximum for me it's those 60 days...

Regards,
Paula

One of the companies I work for is in Portugal, and they went from a 60 to a 90-day delay, along with very low pay. I put up with it for awhile, but then wrote them at the beginning of the year asking for a raise and a shorter wait for payments. They agreed to both. Now, to be fair, the person who runs this company has become a kind of friend, and I know for a fact that a lot of her customers take a long time to pay her, or even stiff her. But on the other hand, I feel that if we translators make reasonable demands, it will force these people to make greater demands on their customers, with better results for everyone.

Amy

Clive Wilshin  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:53
Russian to English
+ ...
Disgusted by the way agencies treat freelancers Feb 9, 2007

I accepted a job from an agency that was highly rated on the blueboard. The work was fulfilled on time (despite their delay in sending the document after I'd accepted the job, which meant that I had less than 24 hours to complete it instead of the 48 I counted on having) and to a high standard. Three months later and I am still waiting for payment.

I got no reply to my emails until I started threatening interest and legal action. Now (after three months of inaction) they claim payment was returned late by their bank because the payee was wrong, which they are trying to make out is my fault (the invoice quite clearly states the name of my partner into whose account I wanted payment made, and every email I sent specifies the payee right above the account details).

I can't go on like this. Almost every client I have requires constant reminders of his or her responsibility to pay me. We really have to get tough. To my fellow translators: every time a client fails to pay you on time, please note it on the blueboard. Only when they find it hard to attract translators will they start to treat them with respect.

[Edited at 2007-02-09 20:15]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment after 60 days....

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs