Mobile menu

Rate quote - standard line
Thread poster: Clara Ogwuazor
Clara Ogwuazor  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 15:14
German to English
Feb 9, 2007

Does any one know how to give quote for standard lines?

I have an offer requesting me to give my quote for standard lines (55 keystroke).

German speakers maybe you can help me out, it states "wir verwenden die Berechnungsmethode nach Standardzeilen (55 Anschläge Zielsprache)"

How can I get the calculation correct???

Direct link Reply with quote

mjbjosh
Local time: 16:14
English to Latvian
+ ...
By words or pages Feb 9, 2007

I only know my quotes by words, but the agency that gives me a lot of tasks right now calculates by pages. They pay good money and they assume that one page in German is about 250 words. I don't complain, and funnily enough I just now caught me thinking what if they are screwing me?? I'll have to see how many words is a standard page usually.

I don't think I will complain though even if they do because like I said they are good payers and I always get the same kind of texts, so I save myself many hours in the library and in research on the net.

Pieter Kuenerz  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Standard lines Feb 10, 2007

Clara, I use a standard page of my own, for which 1 know the average number of words in English. If I divide such number of words by the number of lines of my standard page, I get the equivalent to 7,48 words per line of 55 strokes. For English!

Many German words are combinations of other words, so they are much longer in number of letters, and consequently the number of words per line must be quite lower.

You can do the same calculation if you also have a standard page of your own of which you know the average number of words.

I hope this helps.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
From "Word" word count Feb 10, 2007

If the document is in Word, go to Tools>Word Count, take the figure for "characters with spaces" and divide by 55.

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:14
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Be careful when using the MS Word word count... Feb 10, 2007

... as it does not capture the words in text boxes or footnotes/endnotes when you count the "normal" text. Make sure to run another count to cover this content, too.

Steffen

Clara Ogwuazor  Identity Verified
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Standard lines Feb 11, 2007

Thank you all for those tips. Now I know how to sort out this issue.

Clara

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
MS Word count Feb 12, 2007

Quite right, Steffen. Also, MS Word count does not cover words in inserted jpeg files (translations of words in maps, engineering drawings etc., which I myself do using Paint). I count these manually and add them on.

xxxSpring City  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:14
Chinese to English
+ ...
Rates per 1000 words Feb 14, 2007

Hello. I have done various bits of translation work face-to-face in Kunming China, and I have just started to use this website. When I see people quoting Chinese to English $40 per 1000 "words", what does this mean? Does it mean $40 per 1000 Chinese characters translated, or does it mean $40 per 1000 English words produced? I assume that everywhere on this site it says "words" because the terminology is standardised across languages. But I think in China it would be unusual to talk in terms of words and not characters. How do most people understand the rates they quote? Do they apply to the number of words in the untranslated translation job, or to the output? Do you get a lot of customers who want to pay per word produced and not per word/character translated?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate quote - standard line

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs