What about a discount for extra proofreading?
Thread poster: Nina Khmielnitzky

Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:57
Member (2004)
English to French
Feb 13, 2007

I just got an email from a major US agency that asks if I can give them a discount for extra proofreading fees they incurred in my work. That has never happen to me before. Should I agree? It's not much, barely 18$ over a couple hundred $. It's just that I'm not home now and I can't read the contract I signed with them. I just don't want to agree blindly on something I'm not sure I agreed upon originally. They send me this exactly a day after I ask them to fill in my willingness to work again template. They told me before they were satisfied with my work.

I welcome your comments.

Nina

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:57
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
What does "extra" mean? Feb 13, 2007

Nina Khmielnitzky wrote:

I just got an email from a major US agency that asks if I can give them a discount for extra proofreading fees they incurred in my work.

Nina

An agency is SUPPOSED to check over the work they receive before sending it on to the customer. That's why they charge the end customer a percentage over what they pay the translator.
So I don't understand what they mean by "extra". I also don't understand why they didn't come to you first if there were problems with the translation in the first place.
How much time has elapsed since you turned it in?
Catherine

Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
December 2006 Feb 13, 2007

Hi Catherine,
I sent back the job at the end of December 2006 and I expect payment soon (payment term of 45 days). I agree with you they should have told me sooner.
The problem is I might have a responsability too, since I was a new user of SDLX and didn't know where the aut-correcting tool was (I didn't know there was one). Still, I read the text thoroughly. It's the second job I do for them and I proceeded the same way for this one.

Nina

Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
They're still late with complaints Feb 13, 2007

Hi Nina,
I think you should ask to see the corrections that were made before you agree to anything! Did they say that they had to outsource the proofing? And were THEY the ones who asked you to use a CAT in the first place?
Tell them you're not home right now and can't agree to anything until you get additional information and a copy of the corrections.
And I would work into the conversation that they're a little late getting back to you with this! Sounds like an excuse to shave some money from what they owe you.
Catherine

Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I wrote to my PM Feb 13, 2007

Here's what I wrote:

I just got an email from X requesting a discount for a translation I did more than a month ago. I've been told there were typos in my job, but I didn't know at the time where the spellcheck was in SDLX. Then X provided me a document about this and I thought the matter was settled. I don't have the contract I signed with Z with me at the present time to review the terms we agreed upon, so I might have forgotten about that part.

Still, I find it odd that this request arrives exactly a day after I asked for Z to grade their willingness to work again (wwa) with me in my profile and also so long after I gave back my translation. I wonder, if I refuse to give a discount on a rate that lower than our first contract and lower than what I usually accept, will I get a bad grade? If your agency was not satisfied with my work besides typos, I should have been informed at the time it was reviewed. I would have been happy to re-read my translation and make the appropriate changes to ensure your agency's and you client's satisfaction.

Please note, I'm not mad, and my intention is not to break our work relationship, it's just that I would like to get some clarification.

How does that sound? We'll see how it goes.

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:27
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Proofreading Feb 13, 2007

Hi,

Well, my personal experience is that all work has to be proofread at the agencies' end. It is part of quality assurance promise made by most good agencies.

If work is given to agencies instead of translator it's primarily because agencies can contact different people and get it proofread and reviewed. And the price has to paid from the agencies' cut of the Total Price quoted to the end client, and not from the translator's payment.

Any good agency or any outsourcer will get the work proofread at their end so as to assure the end-client of quality work. And they contact translators only if there are serious quality issues, which evidently is not true in your case... one doesn't wait for over one month to find that out!!!

It just sounds "strange" ....

Best of luck.

Sincerely,

Ritu

Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Keep us posted! Feb 13, 2007

Nina Khmielnitzky wrote:

How does that sound? We'll see how it goes.

Hang in there!
Catherine

Skatrine
Canada
English to French
Auto-correct? Not in SDLX Feb 13, 2007

Nina Khmielnitzky wrote:

since I was a new user of SDLX and didn't know where the aut-correcting tool was (I didn't know there was one).

Strange, I've been using SDLX for years and I've never been aware of any auto-correct feature. I just checked in the Help and documentation. Nothing.

This said, I think you should agree with the discount to get paid as fast as possible and then reevaluate your relationship with them if they offer you work again.

[Edited at 2007-02-13 17:44]

Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I meant a spell checker Feb 13, 2007

not auto-correct.

And to say I gave them a 5 in the BB.

I just wrote to the person who sent me the email, saying basically what I wrote to my PM (who is out of the office for a couple of days).

Nina

[Edited at 2007-02-13 18:35]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What about a discount for extra proofreading?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs