invoicing Spain from the UK
Thread poster: Linebyline
Linebyline  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:02
French to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2002

I\'ve just relocated to the UK from Spain, where I was registered for VAT. In the UK I\'m told I don\'t need to register for VAT until I earn 50k, but all the agencies who send me work from Spain say that I need to quote them an \"extra comunitaria número de exención\". Both customs and excise and the inland revenue say this is rubbish, and they don\'t have any such number.

To top it all, the lady I spoke to at the Inland Revenue had the cheek to say that if I found out, I should call her back, because she would love to know!!!

Any feedback greatly appreciated,

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:02
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not VAT registered in the UK Nov 25, 2002

I work from the United Kingdom. In the past I had a (different) line of business in my country (Italy), with VAT registration and all the legal framework requirements, but this is not relevant for my activity as translator in the UK.

Here I do not need a VAT registration (same situation as yours) for my current turnover and therefore I\'m not VAT registered.

When I invoice to UK companies I just state, at the bottom of my invoice: \"I am not VAT registered\", and that is sufficient.

It is also not necessary and it has never be required to me to provide a VAT registration number by any of my customers from EU countries.

I have no time to explain in more detail right now, but surely this is absolutely correct and legal.

Your customers from Spain should contact their tax consultants and know better than hassling you with unreasonable requests.

Gianfranco

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-25 15:39 ]

OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
I am not registered either Nov 25, 2002

German agencies seem to know I don\'t have to register but one direct client found it odd that I don\'t charge VAT. I just explained it to him.

But I wonder what happens if you are not registered for VAT and you outsource a translation to somebody in another country who is, and charges you VAT.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Gianfranco Nov 25, 2002

I know I don\'t need to be VAT registered in the UK, and that\'s fine with UK companies. But all 7 of the agencies I work for in Spain are asking for \"un número IVA intracomunitario\". They are aware that I don\'t need to be registered for VAT in the UK, but say they can accept my bill without this number...

Appreciate your comments,

Flore Abadie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:02
English to French
Not on your own .... Nov 21, 2004

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem where some Spanish agencies are asking me for a Certificate of Residency (some way apparently to check your VAT status). Nobody seems to know anything about this Certificate, so if anybody does please do let us know. One of the agency owes me almost 1000E but they won't accept my invoices unless I can provide them with the Certificate.

Let's hope that someone will be able to help (

Flore

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About invoicing Spain from the UK Nov 22, 2004

I've managed to get to the bottom of this one. In order to invoice in Europe you need to be VAT registered in the UK. Your VAT number, with GB in front, constitutes your European VAT exemption number and must be quoted on your invoices. Although being VAT registered is not compulsory until you earn in excess of 70k (or somewhere around that, I don't know without checking) it is the only solution for billing in Europe. For the US you need a W8 form. I have been doing this for quite a while now, with no problem. I assume this is the certificate your spanish client is asking for. It's what my Spanish clients asked for anyway.

I have to say I worked out the above with no help from the VAT office, who told me they had never heard of a VAT exemption number, but said that if I did find out, could I possibly give them a call and let them know. Cheek!

Let me know if I can give you any more information,
Jo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

invoicing Spain from the UK

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs