Boost your career as a professional translator!

Boost your career as a professional translator! SDL hosts a virtual conference featuring a selection of free resources to help grow your freelance business, as well as an update on the new features of the world’s most trusted translation software - SDL Trados Studio 2017

Click for Full Participation

Charges - Urgent!
Thread poster: stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
Feb 14, 2007

Hi all,

I have recently started translating a software program from French to Italian. There are approximately 24000 messages to be translated which look like this:

MSG=Consultations des Mouvements Financiers Du
MSG=Code utilisateur obligatoire
MSG=Impossible d'ouvrir le fichier

Could you tell me how much a translator - in my case, with very little experience - would charge for a project like this either per hour or per word and what a reasonable speed of translation would be? For example, I can translate an average of 1500 to 2000 words per an 8-hour day - would this be considered a reasonable speed?

Thank you.

stephanie

Direct link Reply with quote

László Kovács  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:36
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Depents on format and the tools you use Feb 15, 2007

Charging per word is typical for software translation (at least in my experience).
The translation speed you mentioned is quite reasonable. I think you should consider applying some extra charge if your productivity is slower than usual.
Typically, the per word rate is higher for software translation, so your client will probably accept it.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charges - Urgent!

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums