Mobile menu

Charges - Urgent!
Thread poster: stephanieL
English to Italian
Feb 14, 2007

Hi all,

I have recently started translating a software program from French to Italian. There are approximately 24000 messages to be translated which look like this:

MSG=Consultations des Mouvements Financiers Du
MSG=Code utilisateur obligatoire
MSG=Impossible d'ouvrir le fichier

Could you tell me how much a translator - in my case, with very little experience - would charge for a project like this either per hour or per word and what a reasonable speed of translation would be? For example, I can translate an average of 1500 to 2000 words per an 8-hour day - would this be considered a reasonable speed?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

László Kovács  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:49
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Depents on format and the tools you use Feb 15, 2007

Charging per word is typical for software translation (at least in my experience).
The translation speed you mentioned is quite reasonable. I think you should consider applying some extra charge if your productivity is slower than usual.
Typically, the per word rate is higher for software translation, so your client will probably accept it.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charges - Urgent!

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs