DTP: How to quote
Thread poster: Olena Mankovska

Olena Mankovska  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:24
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Feb 15, 2007

Dear colleagues,

should anyone of you have had a previous DTP experience, I would really appreciate your insight on how to quote on this work.

Wishing you all the best of luck and right words, I look forward to your thoughts.

Regards,
Olenka

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrej  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:24
Member (2005)
German to Russian
+ ...
Hello Olena, Feb 15, 2007

it can be helpful for you I suppose: http://www.proz.com/topic/64282

And one more link: http://www.proz.com/topic/64278

[Edited at 2007-02-15 11:09]

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:24
English to Greek
+ ...
In order to help you with this... Feb 15, 2007

...I need a few more details. Can you tell me what sort of work you are expected to do? Do you have to insert translated text into an existing layout, or are you designing the layout from scratch. How many pages are we talking about, etc.

Lina

Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very informative - thanks! Feb 15, 2007

Dear Andrej,

I appreciate the links - the one with your question was especially informative.

Thanks,
Olena

Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details Feb 15, 2007

Angeliki Papadopoulou wrote:

...I need a few more details. Can you tell me what sort of work you are expected to do? Do you have to insert translated text into an existing layout, or are you designing the layout from scratch. How many pages are we talking about, etc.

Lina

Dear Lina,

thanks for your interest and willingness to help out, and I wish I could provide you more information on this. So far all there is very little known regarding the project, except that it will lots of various brochures and booklets. So I am assuming that I will just need to make sure that the translated document is equivalent to the original document in terms of the design and the layout.

Having read the forum on the topic brought up by Andrej, I believe in any case it is better to charge by hour... what do you say, based on your experience?

Thanks,
Olenka

xxxNMR
France
Local time: 19:24
French to Dutch
+ ...
By the hour Feb 15, 2007

And don't be too shy, DTP services are expensive. But you should have the corresponding software and knowledge of typesetting. The hourly rates are about the same or a bit more than translation; ask in your country in a copyshop or local printing house, and apply them. All client's corrections should be invoiced, even the slightest, you should have a minimum rate.

Note: in some countries there is a tax problem: DTP is a commercial service, not an intellectual one. Ask your tax office if you should charge VAT.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DTP: How to quote

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs