Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
What do you consider the best mode of payment?
Thread poster: georgina singh
Elizabeth Sánchez León
Elizabeth Sánchez León  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
The one which suits you better... Feb 20, 2007

I try to accept as many methods as I can. I have used bank transfers, cheques and Paypal.
It is true that when there are involved different currencies expenses may occur. But I can deduct those expenses as business expenses on my income tax, so those are not a "real loss" for me.

[Edited at 2007-02-20 02:27]

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
How about... Feb 20, 2007

option # 6:
Cash in advance, no questions asked

ksbtranslation
ksbtranslation  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 19:40
Indonesian to English
+ ...
With Moneybookers, no deduction. Feb 20, 2007

georgina singh wrote:

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Hello Georgina

I use all of them and I chose which one depending on the country where the other person lives. Sometimes the other is a client, sometimes a translator to whom I outsourced a job.

I started using Moneybookers very recently, I'd have preferred not to, but the translator did prefer it and it offered to me a new possibility.

I think payment problems are to be avoid, I mean that you might be a very good translator, very interesting for an outsourcer, but if it's complicated to the outsourcer to pay you, he will prefer somebody else who offers an easier mean of payment. Most of the time the best choice is determined by our residence country, not the other's, so it's our job to look for the best solution.

I was reluctant to use PayPal too much, but I notice that so many American clients ask for it that I had to change my mind. The problem with PayPal for me were the fees on one side and the fact that I can't withdraw more that a certain amount / month. Well, for those clients who absolutely want to pay with PayPal I ask to share the fees (after all, it's an extra service that makes things easier for them) and I try to pay as much as I can with PayPal, this is the way I use to withdraw my money.

You might have noticed that I don't talk about the most interesting means on a financial level. The most important is not to lose the client because you absolutely want a money transfer for instance. And then you decide whether it's interesting to work for that rate or not.

I think that the payment system is as important as the language problem. You have to talk a language that both parties understand and you have to use a payment system that fits both parties' interests.

What's your problem with PayPal?

Claudia

First let me thank you Claudia for spending so much time in explaining to me about the best mode of payment. So this very much depends on the country in which we live and the currency which is being sent. To be on the safe side and not to lose a client as you said, it is better to have two to three options open for a client to choose from.

Thank you once again so much and I am very happy that I met two moderators of the forum - yourself and Ralf.

Best regards,

Georgina.

I prefer to use Moneybookers since I will receive the payment almost in full. Although the withdrawal will deduct our money, Moneybookers' fee is still cheaper than bank charges.

georgina singh
georgina singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:10
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Smart and sensible. Feb 20, 2007

Elizabeth Sánchez León wrote:

I try to accept as many methods as I can. I have used bank transfers, cheques and Paypal.
It is true that when there are involved different currencies expenses may occur. But I can deduct those expenses as business expenses on my income tax, so those are not a "real loss" for me.

[Edited at 2007-02-20 02:27]

Dear Elizabeth,

Thats a sensible answer too. So it is better to have a few options open and choose the best one depending on the currency and place of residence. Yes it is not a loss when you get a tax benefit.

Thanks so much,
TIA and best of luck,

Georgina.

georgina singh
georgina singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:10
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea! Feb 20, 2007

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

option # 6:
Cash in advance, no questions asked

Dear Woolfgang,

Thats a wonderful idea and how about starting with you???

Ha..ha...ha....joking.....

Its a pleasant idea, but very far fetched.

Best regards and TIA,

Georgina

Nicole Blanc
Nicole Blanc  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Friendly negotiations ... Feb 20, 2007

georgina singh wrote:

1. By cheque
2. Money Bookers
3. Paypal
4. Western Union
5. Money order

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-02-18 08:03]

Depends on where the money comes from!

IMO with clients within Europe (EU), I prefer a bank transfer, outside of the EU I prefer PayPal- haven't had any problems so far.

Moneybookers for "long distance transfers" seems to be a good option, if PayPal doesn't work out.

I don't accept cheques (in foreign curreny), that's extremely costly.
Carolin

Dear Georgina,

I share Carolin's point of view: it all depends on where money comes from!
Within European countries (except Switzerland), bank transfers using IBAN and SWIFT code/ID don't cost anything IMC (in my case... and in nearly everybody's case, as far as I can see).
But for sums coming from other continents: what a contrast!
I've just got a transfer from an Asian outsourcer: a very unpleasant surprise since I bore excessive bank costs. In that particular case, no doubt I should have discussed beforehand with this Asian customer, and decide clearly with him the level of bank expenses we were each ready to meet.
This is the process I try to follow with my clients in Switzerland for example, where most have accepted for long to bear nearly all bank costs to my French account.
I believe that discussing, negotiating and entering clear agreements with your outsourcers may help prevent a few unpleasant surprises.
Like Carolin, I don't accept any cheque from foreign outsourcers as relevant costs are definitely unreasonable.

When I see your smile, Georgina, I can but guess you have excellent relationships with your clients and a friendly approach is sometimes the best way to clarify those money matters everybody has to face ((un)fortunately)....

I haven't used PayPal yet but it seems, from all previous statements, that it is rather expensive!! I don't feel like using PP but I'll have to, as many agencies worldwide give you no other choice today.

Good luck and kindest regards. NB

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you consider the best mode of payment?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »