Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
What do you consider the best mode of payment?
Thread poster: georgina singh
georgina singh
georgina singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:33
Tamil to English
+ ...
Feb 18, 2007

1. By cheque
2. Money Bookers
3. Paypal
4. Western Union
5. Money order

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-02-18 08:03]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:03
English to German
+ ...
...and your point is? Feb 18, 2007

Dear Georgina,
May I suggest to add some more information describing the point of your posting?

TIA, and best regards,
Ralf

georgina singh
India
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's a good one! Feb 18, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Dear Georgina,
May I suggest to add some more information describing the point of your posting?

TIA, and best regards,
Ralf

Dear Ralf,

Since I am having some problem with my Paypal account, I want to know the best mode of payment available so that I could change to that - so that's my point!

By the way what is TIA? Do give me your advice on this.

Best Regards,

Georgina

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Clearer now - thanks. Feb 18, 2007

"TIA" = thanks in advance.

Best, Ralf

abufaraz
abufaraz
Pakistan
Local time: 11:03
English to Urdu
+ ...
Thanks in advance (IMO) Feb 18, 2007

IMO - Before you ask, I should tell you, it is 'in my opinion'

Regards,

(P.S. - Sorry for duplication, it just crossed with Ralf)

(P.S. is 'POST SCRIPT)

[Edited at 2007-02-18 08:08]

georgina singh
India
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it! Feb 18, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

"TIA" = thanks in advance.

Best, Ralf

TIA Ralf, but you haven't advised me on the best mode as yet.

TIA and best regards,

Georgina.

georgina singh
India
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great!!! Feb 18, 2007

aburiaz wrote:

IMO - Before you ask, I should tell you, it is 'in my opinion'

Regards,

(P.S. - Sorry for duplication, it just crossed with Ralf)

(P.S. is 'POST SCRIPT)

[Edited at 2007-02-18 08:08]

Hi Aburiaz,

Thanks for your enthusiasm.....I learnt something new today. P.S is already known to me...anyway thanks ..but how about answering my actual query? I am new and would like your feed back.

TIA and best regards,

Georgina.

Carolin Haase
Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Depends on where the money comes from! Feb 18, 2007

IMO with clients within Europe (EU), I prefer a bank transfer, outside of the EU I prefer PayPal- haven't had any problems so far.

Moneybookers for "long distance transfers" seems to be a good option, if PayPal doesn't work out.

I don't accept cheques (in foreign curreny), that's extremely costly.

All the best,

Carolin

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Cannot comment, I'm afraid Feb 18, 2007

Hi again,

TIA Ralf, but you haven't advised me on the best mode as yet.

I'm afraid I cannot comment, as I'm using bank transfers exclusively. I posted by request in my capacity as the moderator of this forum.

Best regards,
Ralf

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Bank transfer Feb 18, 2007

Personally, I accept bank transfers since PayPal or Moneybookers are not an option in my country (Croatia), meaning that the Internal Revenue Service does not recognize these services as legit.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:03
English to Polish
Moneybrookers Feb 18, 2007

Never had any problems with it, and it's cheaper than other forms I use (bank transafer and Paypal)

Anni

[Edited at 2007-02-18 09:58]

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:03
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
The easiest for both parties Feb 18, 2007

Hello Georgina

I use all of them and I chose which one depending on the country where the other person lives. Sometimes the other is a client, sometimes a translator to whom I outsourced a job.

I started using Moneybookers very recently, I'd have preferred not to, but the translator did prefer it and it offered to me a new possibility.

I think payment problems are to be avoid, I mean that you might be a very good translator, very interesting for an outsourc
... See more
Hello Georgina

I use all of them and I chose which one depending on the country where the other person lives. Sometimes the other is a client, sometimes a translator to whom I outsourced a job.

I started using Moneybookers very recently, I'd have preferred not to, but the translator did prefer it and it offered to me a new possibility.

I think payment problems are to be avoid, I mean that you might be a very good translator, very interesting for an outsourcer, but if it's complicated to the outsourcer to pay you, he will prefer somebody else who offers an easier mean of payment. Most of the time the best choice is determined by our residence country, not the other's, so it's our job to look for the best solution.

I was reluctant to use PayPal too much, but I notice that so many American clients ask for it that I had to change my mind. The problem with PayPal for me were the fees on one side and the fact that I can't withdraw more that a certain amount / month. Well, for those clients who absolutely want to pay with PayPal I ask to share the fees (after all, it's an extra service that makes things easier for them) and I try to pay as much as I can with PayPal, this is the way I use to withdraw my money.

You might have noticed that I don't talk about the most interesting means on a financial level. The most important is not to lose the client because you absolutely want a money transfer for instance. And then you decide whether it's interesting to work for that rate or not.

I think that the payment system is as important as the language problem. You have to talk a language that both parties understand and you have to use a payment system that fits both parties' interests.

What's your problem with PayPal?

Claudia
Collapse

Ishtar
Ishtar
Local time: 07:03
English to German
Bank transfer Feb 18, 2007

My preferred mode of payment is definitely bank transfer, followed by cheques. However the latter have the disadvantage of taking ages to clear: 5 banking days for an ordinary English cheque, 6 banking days for a Scottish cheque.

At the moment I have no need to try PayPal or Moneybookers as I have bank accounts in England and Germany and can therefore easily accept payments from the UK and countries withing the Euro zone (which is where all of my current clients are based).

georgina singh
India
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got your point! Feb 18, 2007

Carolin Haase wrote:

IMO with clients within Europe (EU), I prefer a bank transfer, outside of the EU I prefer PayPal- haven't had any problems so far.

Moneybookers for "long distance transfers" seems to be a good option, if PayPal doesn't work out.

I don't accept cheques (in foreign curreny), that's extremely costly.

All the best,

Carolin

Thanks Carolin,

Yes I get the picture now - it depends on the client and the currency.

Best regards,

Georgina.

georgina singh
India
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You gave me a clear picture now..... Feb 18, 2007

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Hello Georgina

I think payment problems are to be avoid, I mean that you might be a very good translator, very interesting for an outsourcer, but if it's complicated to the outsourcer to pay you, he will prefer somebody else who offers an easier mean of payment. Most of the time the best choice is determined by our residence country, not the other's, so it's our job to look for the best solution.

I was reluctant to use PayPal too much, but I notice that so many American clients ask for it that I had to change my mind. The problem with PayPal for me were the fees on one side and the fact that I can't withdraw more that a certain amount / month. Well, for those clients who absolutely want to pay with PayPal I ask to share the fees (after all, it's an extra service that makes things easier for them) and I try to pay as much as I can with PayPal, this is the way I use to withdraw my money.

You might have noticed that I don't talk about the most interesting means on a financial level. The most important is not to lose the client because you absolutely want a money transfer for instance. And then you decide whether it's interesting to work for that rate or not.

I think that the payment system is as important as the language problem. You have to talk a language that both parties understand and you have to use a payment system that fits both parties' interests.

What's your problem with PayPal?

Claudia

First let me thank you Claudia for spending so much time in explaining to me about the best mode of payment. So this very much depends on the country in which we live and the currency which is being sent. To be on the safe side and not to lose a client as you said, it is better to have two to three options open for a client to choose from.

Thank you once again so much and I am very happy that I met two moderators of the forum - yourself and Ralf.

Best regards,

Georgina.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you consider the best mode of payment?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »