https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/66414-manga_auf_deutsch_wieviel_manga_in_german_how_much.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Manga auf Deutsch, wieviel? / Manga in German, how much?
Thread poster: noidea
noidea
noidea
Local time: 17:58
German to Basque
Feb 19, 2007

OK, I'll write in English so that more people can understand this: someone wants to hire me as a translator. They have a manga book in German and want me to translate it into spanish. The book is thick -some 175 pages. They would pay 120-150 €. Do you think that's well paid?
PS: I see that you all think that the amount's ridiculous. How much would you propose, in case they ask you?

[Edited at 2007-02-19 15:51]

[Edited at 2007-02-19 21:38]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Feb 19, 2007

OK, I'll write in English so that more people can understand this:

I have moved your topic to the Money Matters forum - the German forum is for postings in German only.

Best regards,
Ralf

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 18:58
Turkish to English
+ ...
No Feb 19, 2007

eom

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:58
French to Spanish
+ ...
No, no, no. Feb 19, 2007

175 pages / 150 euros = 1.16 euros per page!
Or am I missing something?

noidea
noidea
German to Basque
TOPIC STARTER
What? Feb 19, 2007

Tim Drayton wrote:

eom

I guess you think that's not well paid?

Don't know what eom means.

Pierre Bancov
Pierre Bancov  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Japanese to French
+ ...
no, not at all Feb 19, 2007

While it is true that a comic book has little text compared to a novel of an equal number of page, it takes quite some time to translate.
I take it that you might have to translate onomatopoetica as well, and this will also require a tremendous amount of time.

I don't know the common rates for a translation bewteen these languages, but this offer is ridiculous.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Too low Feb 19, 2007

Comic books have less text, but this won't make the effort less, as Pierre explains. Plus, they will probably publish your translation as many times as the book is sold out. So, even if you're going to be paid once, you should ask for an amount with this point in mind.

Best of luck!

P.S. My guess is that eom means "end of message"

Juan Jacob
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
Where is the question, now? Feb 19, 2007

Strange, no question.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Poster keeps editing Feb 19, 2007

Juan,
Juan Jacob wrote:

Strange, no question.

Nothing strange - the poster of this topic edited the original posting several times, in which case a moderator needs to re-vet.

"Noidea", in the interest of transparency, may I ask you to respond to those answering your query rather than editing your original query. Thank you.

Best regards,
Ralf

Juan Jacob
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
To Ralf. Feb 19, 2007

OK. Understood.

Pierre Bancov
Pierre Bancov  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Japanese to French
+ ...
The same old problem Feb 20, 2007

I don't want to say that it depends on the series you need to translate, but basically, it really depends on what series you are going to translate

A series like "Gon" has inherently extremely little text (close to none outside of onomatopoetica). Some others are very text intensive (Go-kinjo Monogatari) - and some are "only" really hard to understand (FLCL)!

This is my take on it, but maybe it's just me:<
... See more
I don't want to say that it depends on the series you need to translate, but basically, it really depends on what series you are going to translate

A series like "Gon" has inherently extremely little text (close to none outside of onomatopoetica). Some others are very text intensive (Go-kinjo Monogatari) - and some are "only" really hard to understand (FLCL)!

This is my take on it, but maybe it's just me:
Basically, it boils down to the time you will need to translate these, as well as what you are exactly entitled to do - you will probably need to make a copy of the book and indicate on each page the order of reading of each speech bubble and each sound effect. This will be found back in the doc file you will send, etc etc.

I'd say that on average, you're going to need between 4 and 7 days for run-of-the-mill stories. Even if we take 5 days of work for one book, 150E sound quite cheap to me.

The best would be to try it out - buy the first generic manga you can get in german and work on it, keeping check of the time. It should be clear quite soon that 150E are definetely NOT enough.
Collapse

noidea
noidea
German to Basque
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answers, everybody Feb 20, 2007

I have edited the original message, yes. In case I'm causing a mess, I'm sorry -I'm new to this.
Now I'm emailing the guy that wanted me to translate his manga. I'm telling him what you say, but in case he wants me to propose an amount, what should I answer? A lot more than what he offered, I suppose, but... what would be reasonable, in your opinion?

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 18:58
Turkish to English
+ ...
eom=end of message Feb 20, 2007

noidea wrote:

Tim Drayton wrote:

eom

I guess you think that's not well paid?

Don't know what eom means.

Eom is used at the end of short, terse postings to signify that the respondent has no more to say.
This was meant to be a sarcastic reply in that I think the offer is so clearly badly paid that it does not even merit discussion.

noidea
noidea
German to Basque
TOPIC STARTER
Astonished Feb 20, 2007

I've emailed the guy and he replies that he meant to give me a chance to cooperate with them... but I don't need to be given a chance, I've been a translator for quite a lot of years (though I have never translated manga). He says he thought I was going to do it as a favour, and besides he was giving me a month or more to do the job O_O.
He says that if he needed a well-paid, professional worker, there are lots of them everywhere. I've replied that I'm a professional worker and do no favou
... See more
I've emailed the guy and he replies that he meant to give me a chance to cooperate with them... but I don't need to be given a chance, I've been a translator for quite a lot of years (though I have never translated manga). He says he thought I was going to do it as a favour, and besides he was giving me a month or more to do the job O_O.
He says that if he needed a well-paid, professional worker, there are lots of them everywhere. I've replied that I'm a professional worker and do no favours to entreprises.
Briefly, he's a stupid manipulator who thinks I'm a fool.
Thanks again for your opinions.
Collapse

Dorothea �berall
Dorothea �berall
Japanese to German
Too low Feb 20, 2007

I am a Manga-translator (japanese-german - sorry, my english sucks and that`s absolutely too low - normally I get around 600-1500 Euro for one book, depending on the text amount.
The publishers I am working for pay for the done translation, one page 12-15 Euro - I would propose that and it should be a price for the done translation, not for the original pages.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Manga auf Deutsch, wieviel? / Manga in German, how much?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »