Thread poster: shstephaniepark
shstephaniepark
shstephaniepark
South Korea
Local time: 17:17
English to Korean
+ ...
Feb 19, 2007

It is one of UK translation companies that posted jobs here and is registered in company directory.

I made the first invoice on 26 December 2006. Because I agreed the one-month- after payment (30 days after the invoice is issued), I expected the payment around 26 January 2007. I waited until the end of January. But, no payment.

So I sent an e-mail to PM with who I maintain work related communications(I agreed on the contract with him) and questioned about the delay. He
... See more
It is one of UK translation companies that posted jobs here and is registered in company directory.

I made the first invoice on 26 December 2006. Because I agreed the one-month- after payment (30 days after the invoice is issued), I expected the payment around 26 January 2007. I waited until the end of January. But, no payment.

So I sent an e-mail to PM with who I maintain work related communications(I agreed on the contract with him) and questioned about the delay. He said the payment is made generally 30-45 days after. (Where does this 45 days come from suddenly?!) And he suggested me to send e-mails directly to their accountant. So I sent e-mails asking the payment and they paid for the work I did in January 2007. (The payment made on one week after January invoice dated).

However, still no December 2006 payment yet. I sent several e-mails to the account division of this company and received their confirmation of the reception of my December invoice. But they just keep silent about the payment.

I just want to know if there is any way that Proz can intervene on this affair and how I can deal with this kind of situation. (Any mediator?!)

Is there any one who have experience of sueing clients(e.g. in foreign countries) for unpayment?

I enjoy working with my worldwide clients thanks to Proz. In general I give confidence to the clients I got to know or contacted through Proz. But, facing this kind of situation, I found myself without any means to solve the problem.

[Edited at 2007-02-19 18:53]

[Edited at 2007-02-19 18:56]

[Edited at 2007-02-19 18:57]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:17
English to German
+ ...
Post on the Blue Board, together with a non-payment complaint Feb 19, 2007

Hi Sunghee,
Sorry to hear about this experience.
Thank you for not identifying the outsourcer here.

Not sure what you mean by that (as ProZ.com only began accepting corporate memberships a week ago...) - are you referring to the Blue Board?

However, still no December 2006 payment yet. I sent several e-mails to the account division of this company and received their confirmation of the reception of my December invoice. But they just keep silent about the payment.

Have you called them?

I just want to know if there is any way that Proz can intervene on this affair and how I can deal with this kind of situation. (Any mediator?!)

ProZ.com is a venue - not a party to any bilateral business relationship which you may enter into as a result of a contact established via the site. Therefore, ProZ.com will not get involved in bilateral disputes.

However, Jobs/BB moderators pursue non-payers according to the ProZ.com Termination Policy. Unless you have already done so, please post an entry to the relevant Blue Board record; don't forget to submit a non-payment complaint (the system will prompt you to do so if you post an entry with an LWA of 1 or 2).

Is there any one who have experience of sueing clients(e.g. in foreign countries) for unpayment?

Search this forum; I recall several related discussions in the past.

Best regards,
Ralf

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
might be a simple mixup Feb 19, 2007

Something that sounds similar happened to me in 2005. I invoiced the same NGO for two separate jobs, and was paid for one; when I asked why I hadn't gotten paid for the earlier job, the accountant kept insisting that I had been paid. It took some explaining (with figures, dates, etc.) but finally, she woke up and realized her mistake...

shstephaniepark
shstephaniepark
South Korea
Local time: 17:17
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it is on Blue Board. Feb 19, 2007

Thanks, Ralf and Patricia, for your words. It's quite embarrasing for me. It's a money and energy consuming effort to call and write again and again.

This company's historical LWA average on Blue board is 4.9/5 (number of entry is 7). So I thought it was a quite reliable company.

As Patricia said, in part, I am thinking and, in fact, want to believe it is a sort of mistake or forgetting. Because I received the January payment, I am hesitating in accusing this company
... See more
Thanks, Ralf and Patricia, for your words. It's quite embarrasing for me. It's a money and energy consuming effort to call and write again and again.

This company's historical LWA average on Blue board is 4.9/5 (number of entry is 7). So I thought it was a quite reliable company.

As Patricia said, in part, I am thinking and, in fact, want to believe it is a sort of mistake or forgetting. Because I received the January payment, I am hesitating in accusing this company of the unpayment by 100 percent. But I don't know why they don't reply on it.

They sent files to translate for February. I am asking to myself whether I should boycote agaisnt it or not.

And I agree that, after all, Proz is a "venue" as you said. But I want to believe it is more than a simple "lieu" just for works and talks.

[Edited at 2007-02-19 20:20]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Call them Feb 19, 2007

Hi again,

Simple answer: pick up the phone and call them.

As Patricia said, in part, I am thinking and, in fact, want to believe it is a sort of mistake or forgetting. Because I received the January payment, I am hesitating in accusing this company of the unpayment by 100 percent. But I don't know why they don't reply on it.

There can be numerous potential explanations - for instance, if you're using a freemail address, your messages might be intercepted by their spam filter.

They sent files to translate for February. I am asking to myself whether I should boycote agaisnt it or not.

One more reason to get on the phone and get things sorted out.

And I agree that, after all, Proz is a "venue" as you said. But I want to believe it is more than a simple "lieu" just for works and talks.

ProZ.com is many things to many people - one of the things it isn't is a collection service.

We have seen many cases where a negative BB entry got things moving - looking at your description, however, you may want to make sure there is no transmission problem.

Best regards,
Ralf

Debi Vaught (X)
Debi Vaught (X)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Try a hard copy Feb 20, 2007

In general, when dealing out-of-country, we also issue a hard copy of the invoice and send it through the regular mail. In fact, it was that alone that got one company to finally pay after three months of emails and phone calls.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Continuing Debi's advice Feb 24, 2007

Send them a hard copy, and explain that:
"thank you very much for your payment of my January 2007 invoice of..... amount, but unfortunately my December 2006 invoice for ...... was overlooked. I am looking forward to receiving the payment for that invoice at your earliest convenience."
It is quite possible that they got it mixed up.

[Edited at 2007-02-24 16:20]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A translation company registered at Proz doesn't pay

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »