Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What\'s up with all the .04 bids (even on rush jobs)?
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 09:43
German to English
+ ...
I could just kiss you, Cristina ;-) Nov 29, 2001

Thank you very much for your contribution to the forum.

You are 150% (!) correct: we, as professionals, need to unite, and ProZ should play an active role in bringing us all together, instead of driving the rates into the ground (which is exactly what public bidding has done).

Quite right, Cristina: ProZ should provide \"cover\" for translators outside the \"West\"; I said that a long time ago myself: that is, ProZ should act as a kind of support organiz
... See more
Thank you very much for your contribution to the forum.

You are 150% (!) correct: we, as professionals, need to unite, and ProZ should play an active role in bringing us all together, instead of driving the rates into the ground (which is exactly what public bidding has done).

Quite right, Cristina: ProZ should provide \"cover\" for translators outside the \"West\"; I said that a long time ago myself: that is, ProZ should act as a kind of support organization for translators in far-away regions and countries that have no access to the mainstream organizations such as ATA and others.

Let\'s keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. The \"hour of reckoning\" will come on January 1 .

Collapse

Claudia Esteve
Claudia Esteve  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think Silvia is totally right Nov 29, 2001

Hi everyone,

I\'ve been reading for a while now all the contributions on the subject of rates and charging for bids. Maybe we could just look at the matter from an economics 101 point of view. This is a case of competition driving prices down. The problem for the people who try to compete with low prices is twofold: a)once they quote the low price and, if they\'re really qualified for the job, succeed in keeping the customer, they will never be able to raise their prices b)they quote t
... See more
Hi everyone,

I\'ve been reading for a while now all the contributions on the subject of rates and charging for bids. Maybe we could just look at the matter from an economics 101 point of view. This is a case of competition driving prices down. The problem for the people who try to compete with low prices is twofold: a)once they quote the low price and, if they\'re really qualified for the job, succeed in keeping the customer, they will never be able to raise their prices b)they quote the low price, are really bad and don\'t keep the customer. Let\'s face it, most customers are not stupid, and know exactly what they will get for their money. In my experience, some customers have tried the low-raters and have come back to \"more expensive me\" because they absolutely know that they will have an excellent job on time. Competitition works like that, those who cannot support the cost of their business, even when charging low prices and thinking that volume will make up for it, will eventually leave the market. One has just to be patient and care for the customers as if they were rare jewels. I have learned that that\'s what really pays in the end. As for the proposal regarding the customer determining the maximum rate they\'re willing to pay I think it\'s perfect! By the way, perfect information (meaning bid and ask prices) is one of the assumptions of a perfect competition market structure.
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 14:43
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TQM: full marks, Silvia! (and Werner) Dec 7, 2001

As someone who translates Total Quality Management texts, I can sympathise with Silvia if she had to place low prices at the top of her priorities, but am happy for her that now she can replace it with quality

I too, have no intention of bidding for a c 0.04 /wd job. Frankly, I have stopped bidding some time ago with all those prices floating around. But in addition, public bids are just asking for trouble - a recipe for recr
... See more
As someone who translates Total Quality Management texts, I can sympathise with Silvia if she had to place low prices at the top of her priorities, but am happy for her that now she can replace it with quality

I too, have no intention of bidding for a c 0.04 /wd job. Frankly, I have stopped bidding some time ago with all those prices floating around. But in addition, public bids are just asking for trouble - a recipe for recriminations etc, very bad for professionals and bad for the site.
[addsig]
Collapse

Pieter_H
Pieter_H  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 15:43
Norwegian to Dutch
+ ...
Anybody in for a good laugh?? Jan 11, 2002

This EN>NE job was posted today:

http://www.proz.com/job?id=17255

English to Dutch- 15.920 words

English>Dutch

English>Dutch, Manual

15.920 Words. Payment 400 Euros by bank transfer.

per source word. Delivery within 28 January .

This project starts today!

... See more
This EN>NE job was posted today:

http://www.proz.com/job?id=17255

English to Dutch- 15.920 words

English>Dutch

English>Dutch, Manual

15.920 Words. Payment 400 Euros by bank transfer.

per source word. Delivery within 28 January .

This project starts today!

Unquote

This works out to EURO 0.025 per word

Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What\'s up with all the .04 bids (even on rush jobs)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »