Mobile menu

Any idea about native English speaker's proofreading rates?
Thread poster: MariusV

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 23:27
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Mar 5, 2007

Could any one give me a hint on a rate of English native-speaker's proofreading for small-scale jobs website translations INTO English ? The texts done by a non-native speaker into English on a rather high level and the native speaker will have just to give a native speaker's touch (from the technical side all will be made by the translator, so only some style improvements, some minor grammar issues, etc. needed)?

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
something Mar 5, 2007

around 20 euro per 1000 words could be the rate

Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sounds reasonable Mar 5, 2007

- thanks

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:27
English to Arabic
+ ...
Where is the proofreader located? Mar 5, 2007

It really depends on where the proofreader lives. I am not a native English speaker but I live in the UK, and 20 Euros per 1,000 words sounds a bit too low for this part of the world.

[Edited at 2007-03-05 21:57]

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
the question Mar 5, 2007

was actually about proofreading, not retranslation :0)

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
words-per-hour approach Mar 5, 2007

MariusV wrote:

Could any one give me a hint on a rate of English native-speaker's proofreading for small-scale jobs website translations INTO English ? The texts done by a non-native speaker into English on a rather high level and the native speaker will have just to give a native speaker's touch (from the technical side all will be made by the translator, so only some style improvements, some minor grammar issues, etc. needed)?

Basically it's down to how many words you edit per hour, and what you consider a decent rate per hour.

I've been doing a lot of non-technical editing of non-natives, writing English of a reasonable standard, and I typically edit about 1000 words an hour.

With practice and experience, one gets perhaps a bit faster, but not much. I did an experiment once, and if I remember rightly, JUST reading through a text with concentration works out at about 2000 words per hour, that's without making any changes.

My particular work involves a fair amount of reordering mostly, to improve information flow, and checking facts on the WWW when there is the occasional incomprehensible part. Then I print and read it, then do a final on-screen correction.

As for rate per hour (or word), that is very variable, depending on languages, location, etc, and yourself, of course:-)

annemarie dewachter  Identity Verified
Belgium
Dutch to English
+ ...
indeed Mar 6, 2007

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

was actually about proofreading, not retranslation :0)

yes 0,02 cent is the rate I get for proofreading texts for a colleague (in Flemish/Dutch). Most of the time, texts are of very good quality and do not requre 'major restoration works'
So yes, I'd say this is a fair price, for jobs done for a colleague, when the translation is not too specialized and of good quality. Proofreading for a direct client is a different matter of course.

Anne-Marie

[Edited at 2007-03-06 12:33]

Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
native speaker needed Mar 6, 2007

[quote]Nesrin wrote:

It really depends on where the proofreader lives. I am >>>not a native English speaker

Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
native speaker needed Mar 6, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

It really depends on where the proofreader lives. I am not a native English speaker but I live in the UK, and 20 Euros per 1,000 words sounds a bit too low for this part of the world.

[Edited at 2007-03-05 21:57]

I am not a native speaker myself, but sometimes I translate into English (as there are no professional native speakers who could know Lithuanian on a high level as a source language). So, do you think that 0.02 EUR just for "reading and correcting/improving" some minor things for a non-specialized thext can be too low? As Lia said - the reviser can make ca. 1000 words per hour, work will be not intensive...So, if one manages to make 1000-1500 words, the hourly rate becomes 20-25 EUR...I think it is a normal hourly rate? (something up to the average rate)?

OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
far too little Mar 6, 2007

If the translator is a non-native the proofreader probably won't manage 1000 words an hour.
EUR 20 per hour would be considered extremely low pay in the UK anyway and I don't think you'll find a British native for that kind of money.

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Monolingual Mar 6, 2007

It would be monolingual proofreading, I suppose?

You would need a good relationship with your proofreader in that case as the source text cannot be used anymore (unless you find a "native" who knows your language).

EUR 0.02 is quite a low rate for proofreading (without it being 'editing') and EUR 20 is quite a low hourly rate - at least in my language combination.

Good luck!

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
I wasn't suggesting you give the job to me!! Mar 6, 2007

MariusV wrote:

Native speaker needed

I just mentioned that I'm a non-native speaker as a sort of disclaimer, because you really wanted to hear the opinion of native English speakers.
But I am aware of the fact that, here in the UK, 20 Euros per 1,000 words of proofreading is a bit too low. I'd say 40 Euros sounds more like it. Personally I prefer to charge per hour.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any idea about native English speaker's proofreading rates?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs