Thread poster: SandraV

SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:27
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 7, 2007

How should I make an invoice for an advance payment? The client is asking me to send him the invoice for the advance % in order to pay. Should I write on the invoice the total amount and then specify that the amount paid is only an advance? I have no idea how to do it!

Thank you "in advance" for your help

Direct link Reply with quote

Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:27
Member (2003)
English to German
Several ways to do it Mar 7, 2007

Hi Sandra,

I guess there are several ways to do it, but I always do it this way:

I issue an invoice with the total amount, then specify in the payment details that X %, or amount X, is payable in advance, and the rest after completion, or after XY days, or whatever.

This way, you not only avoid sending a second invoice, but you also have a small ace in your hands should the client choose not to pay the rest of the invoice. Reason: A client who has already paid a certain amount of the whole sum cannot argue later that he never gave you the assignment.

My two cents

Marion

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Excellent advice! Mar 7, 2007

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote: I issue an invoice with the total amount, then specify in the payment details that X %, or amount X, is payable in advance, and the rest after completion, or after XY days, or whatever.

This way, you not only avoid sending a second invoice, but you also have a small ace in your hands should the client choose not to pay the rest of the invoice. Reason: A client who has already paid a certain amount of the whole sum cannot argue later that he never gave you the assignment.

No additional comment necessary!

megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another, similar version Mar 7, 2007

Hello --

The suggestion by Marion is great. I wish I could apply it systemmatically !! But some customers just don't like to receive a full invoice if the job is not done in full for "administrative reasons"...

That's why I usually do it like this:

... Before the translation starts.

1. I send a project proposal which has to be returned signed by fax or confirmed by e-mail. This contains just a short description of the job (xxx words, from xxx to yy language, technical / general..., to be delivered in xxx format, due date xxxx), plus the offer itself: amount, payment form and terms.

Some customers do not return it, but I never omit this step, and only omint the customer answer for a customer with more than 2 years of happy business records. Even in this case, this single page has an interesting side-effect: if a customer denies just to drop a line by e-mail to confirm your formal offer... maybe it's not the sort of customer you deserve.

This is easy to do if you have a template to do it, just fill it in, and it's done (5 minutes, I promise ). I also add my general business conditions to this. It's taken 10 years to write them down, and they would probably be useless in case of dispute, but definitely help me to raise red flags when an unknown customer complains because I'm too formal. I only said "bah, maybe you're too..." once; It was good that that customer was one of my worst nightmares ever, because I will not do it anymore!!!!

... Invoicing

2. I prepare an invoice describing the whole project (usually just copy and paste the short description done before), and stating that this is an invoice for the n-th payment which is a % of the total (i.e. 1st payment, 10% of 456.00 USD = 45.60 USD)

As the project progresses, I invoice the parts previously agreed with the customer.

This is similar to the advice given by Marion, but the customer cannot complain for getting an invoice for the amounts already paid (or in process to be paid). On the other hand there is a description of the full project in every single invoice so that it's not so easy for the customer to say that you were not hired for that whole job and he did not know anything about what you were intending to receive in turn.

I hope this also helps!!

Ruth @ Megane Wang

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Just like a normal invoice... Mar 9, 2007

Sandra de la Vega wrote:
How should I make an invoice for an advance payment? The client is asking me to send him the invoice for the advance % in order to pay.

I recently had to do this. The invoice was a normal invoice, with today's date, and in the job description I just wrote something like 'Advance payment for job XYZ'. That's it.

SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:27
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 14, 2007

Thanks to everyone for your help, it was really useful.

Best regards,

Sandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with invoicing for advance payment

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs