Tone Halling  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 15:49
Member (2004)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Dec 2, 2002

Hi,

An agency has sent me a contract/service agreement containing a clause regarding indemnity that I find quite stiff. Here is the clause in question:

\"You agree, upon demand, to imdemnify us (which for the purposes of this clause includes our employees, agents and sub-contractors), and keep us indemnified, from all losses, damages, injury, costs and expenses of whatever nature suffered by us to the extent that the same are caused by or related to:

A) materials or drawings given to us by you in relation to the provision of the Services;

B) any breach of warranty given by you in this clause 4; or

c) any other breach by you of these terms of business.\"

I\'m not a legal expert, but it seems to me that this entails almost unlimited liability. Should not such a clause contain a reasonable upper limit?

Grateful for any input,

Tone Halling

Direct link Reply with quote

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
'Unreasonable' would be an understatement Dec 3, 2002

For what it\'s worth:

Only very rarely do I agree to accept full responsibility for a translation I submit, yet never when I haven\'t even seen the source text.

The end client, in casu the agency who sent you this, is responsible for whatever s/he publishes or submits.

Especially when it comes to agencies who charge anything up to 0.40 per source word, claiming they have all their translations proof-read and edited.

I have received several such contracts over the years and simply don\'t sign them.

Even if this means I miss out on many assignments.

Don\'t get me wrong here: if I\'d make a mess of a translation and the agency can indeed prove this to me, I\'ll happily deduct my word rate, or review the complete text, or pay someone else to have a closer look at it.

Good luck anyway.
[addsig]

Tanja Abramovic  Identity Verified
English to Serbian
+ ...
Just a formality Dec 11, 2002

I also signed a lot of such contracts (I live in the U.S., where they are really binding). However, no one had ever complained about anything and I was always paid on time (normally, the translations were professional and of high quality).

I think that such wording in the contracts is just a formality and that you shouldn\' t worry.

Good luck,

olyx

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unreasonable contract terms ?

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs