Thread poster: toptrans

toptrans
India
Local time: 10:21
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 9, 2007

Hello All,

We are facing severe problems with one translator who has worked for us.

We had made the payments as per the bank instructions given in the invoice, by wire transfer.

The amount which usually takes 3 days to reach the account, has not yet reached, as the bank details given by her was wromg.

She has sent us the latest bank details, after the payment was made.
Now, she has come up with new issues:

1. To make payment immediately with her new bank details.
2. Not to deduct any charges.

We have written back to her saying that:
1. We can only make her payment when the money that has already been transfered is reflected in our statement.

2. As we have already borne a commision of USD 25, we will not be able to bear any more comission, or transfer charges.

The translator has threatned that she will take legal steps??? and will give a bad blue board entry.

Do you think anything can be done on this?
Tina

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
Local time: 06:51
English to German
+ ...
If I were you.. Mar 9, 2007

Halo! I would wait to the transfer value back from the wrong account and not again bear the transfer charges, because the mistake of having given wrong information is not mine. I have dealt in trust and honesty. Best Brandis

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What exactly was wrong? Mar 9, 2007

Tina,
The few things most people tend to be precise about are their
name, their birthday, and their bank account...

We had made the payments as per the bank instructions given in the invoice, by wire transfer.

The amount which usually takes 3 days to reach the account, has not yet reached, as the bank details given by her was wromg.

What exactly was wrong? Did the invoice contain a wrong bank account number, for example, or would the transfer have required a certain set of details (such as a SWIFT BIC)? Note that I'm not asking you to post the details here - I'm trying to get a more precise idea of where the problem was.

Do you think anything can be done on this?
Tina

First and foremost: keep communicating.

Best regards,
Ralf

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If she made the mistake... Mar 9, 2007

toptrans wrote:

If she gave you the wrong details, then that is her loss (but IANAL). If the money went into a bank account that is in her country, then she should go to the relevant bank and get the details of the person in whose account the payment was made, and get them to pay back the money herself. If she is unsuccessful, then this is a hard lesson for her.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
No access to details Mar 9, 2007

Hi Samuel,
If the money went into a bank account that is in her country, then she should go to the relevant bank and get the details of the person in whose account the payment was made, and get them to pay back the money herself.

Assuming that we're talking about a European bank account, it's virtually impossible to access these details.
Typically, payments investigations need to be initiated at the sender's end of the chain - they're the ones who can trace a payment from the start.

Cheers, Ralf

toptrans
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BIC Swift code error Mar 9, 2007

What exactly was wrong? Did the invoice contain a wrong bank account number, for example, or would the transfer have required a certain set of details (such as a SWIFT BIC)?

Hello All,
The SWIFT BIC code was completely changed...the translator had given us the wrong SWIFT BIC code

But the amount transfered is already debited from our account on the date of transfer, for which the proof was given to the translator...

Are there are there chances for any intermediary bank to hold the funds if the given information is wrong?

Are there any chances for this fund to come back to our account?
Pl.advise-Tina

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Cannot answer your questions... Mar 9, 2007

Tina,
I can give you general answers to your questions; for a definitive statement, you would need to get in touch with your bank.

The SWIFT BIC code was completely changed...the translator had given us the wrong SWIFT BIC code

In which case the fault is clearly hers, of course; as a result, she should bear all costs incurred (including the fees charged for an investigation).

Having said that, what does "completely changed" mean? Can you quote the two BICs (no harm in the forum, as a BIC code refers to a bank or branch, not to the account holder)?

But the amount transfered is already debited from our account on the date of transfer, for which the proof was given to the translator...

This is important - note that you should forward the confirmation of payment, not just the instructions submitted.

Are there are there chances for any intermediary bank to hold the funds if the given information is wrong?

Not sure what "intermediary bank" you're thinking of - if the incorrect BIC is valid, the payment will be routed to the indicated destination.

Are there any chances for this fund to come back to our account?

It's rather unlikely (although not impossible) that the same account number would exist with another bank; also, the account name wouldn't match.

Once again, you should contact your bank and ask them to investigate that payment.

Best regards,
Ralf

[Edited at 2007-03-09 07:57]

toptrans
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
on swift code Mar 9, 2007

Hi
What I meant was that the translator had initially given:

Receiving Bank: CAPITALIA
BIC Receiving Bank: BROMITRR

And now it has been changed to:

Receiving Bank: CAPITALIA
BIC Receiving Bank: CAPTITRR

Usually the banks have an intermediary bank that will route the money to the party's banks, and could be located anywhere...(This is what I have learnt from my bankers)

We have already shown the proof of payment with the amount already debited from our account....

I m infact asking my bankers to trace the payment...got no news..

Tina

Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 14:51
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Translator is at fault Mar 9, 2007

Hi Tina,

I'd understand that the client would have to wait for the funds to be returned before they made the payment again if I'd made the mistake of quoting the wrong BIC so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

If this person does score you badly on the Blueboard, just state your case in the space you have available and people will understand. Actually it'll look worse on the translator than it will on you.

I wouldn't pay the charges again and I can't see the translator even having a case if he/she decides to take legal action because he/she made the mistake in the first place.

I did a quick Google and noticed that Banca di Roma (BROMITRR) merged with Capitalia in 2002 so that's probably where the confusion has come from. I would have thought that the payment would have been automatically redirected, but it sounds like they're sitting on it waiting for it to be recalled.

Good luck and I hope it all works out ok.
Mark

toptrans
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
on code Mar 9, 2007

[I did a quick Google and noticed that Banca di Roma (BROMITRR) merged with Capitalia in 2002 so that's probably where the confusion has come from. I would have thought that the payment would have been automatically redirected, but it sounds like they're sitting on it waiting for it to be recalled]

Thank you for the information on merging...I will ask my bankers to look on this too...
Tina

toptrans
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
on code Mar 9, 2007

[I did a quick Google and noticed that Banca di Roma (BROMITRR) merged with Capitalia in 2002 so that's probably where the confusion has come from. I would have thought that the payment would have been automatically redirected, but it sounds like they're sitting on it waiting for it to be recalled]

Dear Mark,
Thank you for the information on merging...I will ask my bankers to look on this too...
Tina

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Lost in translation? Mar 9, 2007

Banca di Roma (BROMITRR) merged with Capitalia in 2002 so that's probably where the confusion has come from.

So what's the sudden rush ;P

No, this is not fair, sorry, dear friends, I´'m in a naughty mood today.

I just have to admit, it's absolutely refreshing to see an agency lose its nerves trying to pay an outstanding invoice.

I can just say: Vow!!

Would you by any chance have a job or two for me?

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I had that problem Mar 9, 2007

But it was not MY mistake.

Wire transfers can always be traced. No easy, but possible.
The agency needs to give new instructions to the bank.

A.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:51
English to German
+ ...
Banks make mistakes Mar 10, 2007

The bank should have figured out that the SWIFT BIC for the translator's acct.# and name wasn't up to date and didn't match the bank's address and they better act quickly to fix that on your and your translator's behalf.

Reversed example:
I recently received an unexpected wire transfer (4 digit amount, US Dollar) on my account, wire transfer fee deducted. Sender: one of my regular and favorite clients. I emailed immediately if this amount has reached me in error because I had received the same amount already two weeks ago, client says: "Nah, not ours." I contacted my bank: "This was a wire transfer from a foreign country. Not our money.", they said. "For a small fee (haha!) we would be happy to trace it for you."

Terrific. I feel like an involuntary thief. Whatever bank has sent it has the tracking# and all details of this transaction. I am still waiting and I am ready to send back the amount to whoever is rightfully claiming it.

Toptrans, is it yours? Just kidding.)

[Edited at 2007-03-10 06:02]

[Edited at 2007-03-10 06:04]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

sorting payments already made

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums