Thread poster: Eileen Brophy

Eileen Brophy  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:38
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 12, 2007

I have been requested to give a price for a translation and take into account multiple word repetition while using Trados. Does Trados do such a word count and how does one charge for such services as charging a price for one word used a number of times during a translation works against the translation and gets a cheaper job for the agencies surely?

Can anyone give me some feedback on their experiences please and some orientation on prices.

Many Thanks

Eileen

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Multiple words and pricing with Trados Mar 13, 2007

Eileen Brophy wrote:

I have been requested to give a price for a translation and take into account multiple word repetition while using Trados.

Now why would you want to do that?

Marc

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Discount on segment level repetitions only Mar 13, 2007

You should only grant a discount on repetitions if these words stand alone in a segment (i.e. stand alone followed by a line break). This makes it possible for you to use Trados to automate translation of repetitions.

You should definitely not discount repetitions of words inside segments/sentences. That simply doesn't make sense. It's only a trick for the client to save money (and cheat you).

Simply analyse the file(s) with Trados and decide on a discount for 100% matches and repetitions, e.g. 20% or 25% of the full price. Trados only analyses files on segment (sentence) level, not at word level.

Some translators don't even discount partial matches, 100% matches and repetitions, but my impression is that many do.

Good luck
Jørgen

Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiple words and pricing with Trados reply Mar 13, 2007

Many thanks for your advice Jorgen, this is a question that has been troubling me for some time now and didn´t know how to face it. It helps to know what the general situation is

Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
multiple word repetition while using Trados. Mar 13, 2007

Marc P wrote:

Eileen Brophy wrote:

I have been requested to give a price for a translation and take into account multiple word repetition while using Trados.

Now why would you want to do that?

Marc

I don´t want to do it Marc!!! I just wondered what others do!!!

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Three levels are usual Mar 13, 2007

I agree you should only give discounts on segment level. Use the function Tools > Analyse to get an overview of repetitions in your source text.
Usually, agencies have three levels of pricing: one for 100% matches, one for 0% matches and one for in-between. The levels (20-75% or 10-70% or ...) may vary wildly, but this is the general principle.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:38
English to French
+ ...
Here'S what I do Mar 15, 2007

I give away 100% matches and repetitions free only if I'm not required to proofread units that were already in the TM when I started the job. For all other match types, I charge the full rate - take it or leave it!

If you want to emulate the 3-level agency structure, you can do that too, many people do (although I am not a fan of investing in software that will help the client make more profit and chip away at my own, and so I don't do this). Just make sure that the "in-between" level applies only to 85% matches or better. Anything that is below that should be considered a new word and charged full price. As a rule of thumb, segments in which more than 2 words need to be edited will not have all editable words in one chunk and the editable words will be scattered, so this often affects the very structure of the sentence. Usually, matches below 85% need just enough correction that you are better off translating the entire segment from scratch - and then, it really comes down to a no match for which you should charge accordingly.

Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Viktoria Gimbe Mar 15, 2007

Many thanks for your advice Viktoria, I agree, it seems a waste of time buying things that help the agencies chip away at our earnings. I just couldn´t believe my ears when the agency asked me for special prices for multiple terms and concordancies!!!

I think I will adopt a no go attitude in the future and once again, thanks for your reply.

benga
English
help needed, more details on repetition calculation... Mar 25, 2007

hello all, i've been asked to calculate a 30% *rate* for repetition using trados, for a site which has seperate catalog pages for the same products with different amounts. how would one go about doing that, for say a 70% discount on such repeated words ?
i'm trying to figure out how to do the math here and i'm confused....
i'm thinking this is an average 30% repetition rate, for which I would charge 30% of the price, ie a 70% discount. Does this seem correct ? i've never had to deal with this and trados, and i'm trying to find out how to calculate what is asked...

thanks in advance

b

[Edited at 2007-03-25 10:40]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple words and pricing with Trados

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs