Thread poster: because Group
because Group
because Group  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:41
Member (2007)
Mar 13, 2007

Hello averybody, this is my first post.
I'm an outsourcer, and I'm trying to find the best way to pay service providers outside Italy.
I thought bank transfer was the best way, but I'd have to face with high fees. Beside that, I know that someone prefers paypal.
So, what about paypal? I've read tons of "horror stories": have you ever had some bad experience with paypal?
Is this virtual account really popular and trustable?
Finally, I've heard about moneybookers: I w
... See more
Hello averybody, this is my first post.
I'm an outsourcer, and I'm trying to find the best way to pay service providers outside Italy.
I thought bank transfer was the best way, but I'd have to face with high fees. Beside that, I know that someone prefers paypal.
So, what about paypal? I've read tons of "horror stories": have you ever had some bad experience with paypal?
Is this virtual account really popular and trustable?
Finally, I've heard about moneybookers: I was told it's the best way, safe and with low fees. So what about fees, comparing with paypal? Is moneybookers popular?

I have to choose among:
- advanced home banking (I have to pay for) to allow bank transfer worldwide
- join paypal
- join moneybookers

Thanks for cooperation.
Davide
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Pay pal Mar 13, 2007

It is the best payment method for international (outside Europe) payments, it is reliable and I never lost a cent.

(I cross my fingers)

I send and receive money via paypal since 2002, no problems whatsoever (cross my fingers again).

Besides, paypal fees (for payment outside Europe) are cheaper than the ones of the Italian banks.

Based on my long experience with it I reccommend you to join Paypal.
Now you can also be verified without u
... See more
It is the best payment method for international (outside Europe) payments, it is reliable and I never lost a cent.

(I cross my fingers)

I send and receive money via paypal since 2002, no problems whatsoever (cross my fingers again).

Besides, paypal fees (for payment outside Europe) are cheaper than the ones of the Italian banks.

Based on my long experience with it I reccommend you to join Paypal.
Now you can also be verified without using your credit card (if you don't like).
A debit card like postepay is also accepted.

Best

Angio

P.S. Assuming that you send money from an Italian Bank, wire transfers inside Europe are free.

[Edited at 2007-03-13 10:00]
Collapse

Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
PayPal the way to go Mar 13, 2007

Hello Davide,

Yes, I agree. PayPal has never caused trouble and I have used it extensively (however, I have more experience with PayPal Canada from when I lived over there, sometimes there are differences, that is for sure the case with eBay for example). It seems as if PayPal is less common in Europe than in North America and I don´t understand why. Just one word of caution: a friend of mine has had some issues with PayPal blocking her account for a while due to a suspected case
... See more
Hello Davide,

Yes, I agree. PayPal has never caused trouble and I have used it extensively (however, I have more experience with PayPal Canada from when I lived over there, sometimes there are differences, that is for sure the case with eBay for example). It seems as if PayPal is less common in Europe than in North America and I don´t understand why. Just one word of caution: a friend of mine has had some issues with PayPal blocking her account for a while due to a suspected case of fraud. Surely, that´s not great, but to me it means that PayPal is on top of things in terms of security - a reassuring thought.

Happy translating (outsourcing..)
Collapse

because Group
Italy
Member (2007)
TOPIC STARTER
Paypal really sure? Mar 13, 2007

[q]Just one word of caution: a friend of mine has had some issues with PayPal blocking her account for a while due to a suspected case of fraud. Surely, that´s not great, but to me it means that PayPal is on top of things in terms of security - a reassuring thought.[/q]

Dear Julia,
this is exactly what frightens me.. if someone tries to pay you with a stolen card, or enter into your account several times typing a wrong password, etc. They just block your account and your mon
... See more
[q]Just one word of caution: a friend of mine has had some issues with PayPal blocking her account for a while due to a suspected case of fraud. Surely, that´s not great, but to me it means that PayPal is on top of things in terms of security - a reassuring thought.[/q]

Dear Julia,
this is exactly what frightens me.. if someone tries to pay you with a stolen card, or enter into your account several times typing a wrong password, etc. They just block your account and your money will be available in 6 months! I'm not worried about phishing, but attempts to breach in scare me.

Anyway, nobody amongst you did loose money?
And what about fees? Suppose I have to pay you 100 USD: how much money do I spend, how much do you get?

Thank you
Davide
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:41
English to Polish
Moneybrookers Mar 13, 2007

It's cheaper than Paypal...

However - actually - why not register to both? You would be able to choose and use most frequently the one you'd like, and you would have several ways, depending on clients (some can use only MB, or only PP, or only bank transfers).

Anni

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Where do your outsourcers live? Mar 13, 2007

Hello Davide,

Where do your outsourcers live? If they are within the EU, then bank transfers should not cost you too much. Any transfers I make from my French account to EU accounts (Germany, Luxembourg, etc.) cost me the grand total of 3.15 euros. This is the method of payment I feel *by far* the most comfortable with within the EU, for reasons of both speed and security.

I do not work with paypal, for at this point I have not had the need (plus, I've heard many good t
... See more
Hello Davide,

Where do your outsourcers live? If they are within the EU, then bank transfers should not cost you too much. Any transfers I make from my French account to EU accounts (Germany, Luxembourg, etc.) cost me the grand total of 3.15 euros. This is the method of payment I feel *by far* the most comfortable with within the EU, for reasons of both speed and security.

I do not work with paypal, for at this point I have not had the need (plus, I've heard many good things like from the previous posters, but also many bad things, so I'm not prepared to go that route yet).

My limited experience paying outsourcers outside of the euro zone has been with moneybookers. I have only had to use it a few times, each time with payments of around 500 euros, and the fees were 1.50 euros to upload my money to the account, plus 1.50 euros to make the payment. So again, a grand total of 3 euros.

Hope this helps you,
Mara
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Bank transfer should be the best alternative inside the EU Mar 13, 2007

Provided IBAN & BIC are used.

This was discussed extensively June-Aug 2003 when the EU rule for international payments withing the EU came into force.

Goto: ... See more

This was discussed extensively June-Aug 2003 when the EU rule for international payments withing the EU came into force.

Goto: http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&action=SearchForum&advanced=y

One example: http://www.proz.com/post/155685#155685

MW
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Nothing Mar 13, 2007

And what about fees? Suppose I have to pay you 100 USD: how much money do I spend, how much do you get?

Thank you
Davide

If you send you pay nothing, if you receive the fee is about 4% of the received sum, so since you are an outsourcer you pay nothing .

But like I said from Italy, inside Europe, wire transfers are free (with Iban and Bic )

[Edited at 2007-03-13 11:24]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:41
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
What about payments to the UK? Mar 13, 2007

Angio wrote:

Thank you
Davide

If you send you pay nothing, if you receive the fee is about 4% of the received sum, so since you are an outsourcer you pay nothing .

But like I said from Italy, inside Europe, wire transfers are free (with Iban and Bic )

[Edited at 2007-03-13 11:10]

Hullo Angio and everyone,
When you say "wire transfers inside Europe are free", does that include the UK? I fear it may not, because unfortunately we are not in the Euro Zone, so we are always at the mercy of foreign exchange rate variations. I wish we were in the Euro Zone, but I'd better not say anything about that, as it might be construed as political ...
Best regards,
Jenny

Jenny Duthie
Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
about Paypal Mar 13, 2007

I've used Paypal a few times and I think it's quite good my only complaint would be that the transfer times can be quite long if your bank account is not in the US

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 01:41
English to Arabic
+ ...
Moneybookers Mar 13, 2007

If you are going to deal with vendors living in Arab countries so moneybookers will be a must as Paypal does not exist there.

Kind regards
Ahmed Wadan

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
May be not Mar 13, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:
Hullo Angio and everyone,
When you say "wire transfers inside Europe are free", does that include the UK? I fear it may not, because unfortunately we are not in the Euro Zone, so we are always at the mercy of foreign exchange rate variations. I wish we were in the Euro Zone, but I'd better not say anything about that, as it might be construed as political ...
Best regards,
Jenny

Hi Jenny, not sure about UK, I have only 2 UK clients, but they always paid me via paypal, so you are probably right

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
As many as possible Mar 13, 2007

Ideally, you should be ready to use as many methods as possible. The freelancers will appreciate it.

Wire transfer is a must and it's very cheap (or free). Ask your bank about the fees to non-Euro zone countries.

Paypal and Moneybookers are good alternatives for overseas or small payments. Many people prefer Paypal simply because they don't know about Moneybookers, which is cheaper. You don't have to keep any money on your Moneybookers account, you will simply upload it
... See more
Ideally, you should be ready to use as many methods as possible. The freelancers will appreciate it.

Wire transfer is a must and it's very cheap (or free). Ask your bank about the fees to non-Euro zone countries.

Paypal and Moneybookers are good alternatives for overseas or small payments. Many people prefer Paypal simply because they don't know about Moneybookers, which is cheaper. You don't have to keep any money on your Moneybookers account, you will simply upload it a few days before the payment. I have never had any problems with Moneybookers and I can only recommend it.
Collapse

because Group
Italy
Member (2007)
TOPIC STARTER
Bank transfer vs paypal Mar 13, 2007

Mats Wiman wrote:

Goto: http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&action=SearchForum&advanced=y

One example: http://www.proz.com/post/155685#155685

MW

Thank you Mats,
I just checked with my bank, and I was told, there is no extra charge inside EU (btw, my bank applies no charges at all, so wire transfer is probably the best option).

Just one thing: the beneficiary bank seems to apply charges; and I don't like it at all. I just don't want service providers complaining about extra charges, while I pay the agreed payment.

Outside EU, a charge of 5,16 EUR is applied by my bank. Is this accetpable, by your point of view? Maybe it could be better for me if I'd join paypal, but in that case 4% fees on receiving money is acceptable only for payments less than 100 EUR / USD.

Last thing: I don't really understand why an American translator may want Paypal, and in such a way as "my way or highway". It was about a 1000 USD project.
I think he should be happier with a wire transfer.. shouldn't he?

I still don't understand why paypal could be preferred by service providers.

Davide

because Group
Italy
Member (2007)
TOPIC STARTER
Moneybookers VS paypal Mar 13, 2007

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Paypal and Moneybookers are good alternatives for overseas or small payments. Many people prefer Paypal simply because they don't know about Moneybookers, which is cheaper. You don't have to keep any money on your Moneybookers account, you will simply upload it a few days before the payment. I have never had any problems with Moneybookers and I can only recommend it.

I understand your point of view, but I can't afford using either paypal or moneybookers. I just don't want to spend my entire day paying with one method or another, transferring money I can't use. I'd like to settle for wire transfer + only one on-line payment method (paypal or moneybookers)

If moneybookers is cheaper (less fee for translators if I understand correctly) why don't you all just switch to it?
In other words, may I say: "moneybookers or wire transfer, no paypal, because it's cheaper for you"? Things can change: if paypal steal your money, let them get away!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best payment method

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »