perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 14, 2007

Hi.
I was asked to make an estimate for a job, but the agency wants to pay by line (they used as a basis 55 characters/line).
How do you do that?
Do you charge each line, no matter how many words/characters it has, or do you consider each group of 55 characters (to use the agencies' basis) as a line?
TIA.
Katia

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:00
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Base it on character count. Mar 14, 2007

In Word, take the figure for "character count including spaces" and divide by 55 to give you the number of lines.

perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Mar 14, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

In Word, take the figure for "character count including spaces" and divide by 55 to give you the number of lines.

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:00
German to English
+ ...
Ifs and buts Mar 14, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

That is usually good enough (and it is what I often do myself).

However, the character count in Word is not perfect. Specifically, Word is "blind" to embedded text boxes, it doesn't see headers and footers, and you have to click an extra box to make it count footnotes.

So sometimes (depending on the type of file and the specifics of the job) I count with PractiCount or DVX instead of Word.

But the principle, as Jack explained, is the character count for the whole job, not the number of lines on the page (because a line of text on the page will usually make up something like one and a half standard lines of 55 keystrokes).

As I have stated elsewhere in the forum, I prefer billing by lines rather than words, but that's a different topic.
(If you're interested, search the forums for "word rate roulette".)

[Edited at 2007-03-14 18:05]

perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Victor Mar 14, 2007

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

That is usually good enough (and it is what I often do myself).

However, the character count in Word is not perfect. Specifically, Word is "blind" to embedded text boxes, it doesn't see headers and footers, and you have to click an extra box to make it count footnotes.

So sometimes (depending on the type of file and the specifics of the job) I count with PractiCount or DVX instead of Word.

But the principle, as Jack explained, is the character count for the whole job, not the number of lines on the page (because a line of text on the page will usually make up something like one and a half standard lines of 55 keystrokes).

As I have stated elsewhere in the forum, I prefer billing by lines rather than words, but that's a different topic.
(If you're interested, search the forums for "word rate roulette".)

[Edited at 2007-03-14 18:05]

Gert Hirschfeld  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:00
English to German
+ ...
Rule of thumb Mar 15, 2007

Hi Perry,
My rule of thumb is - based on past translation documents - that a line of 55 chars equals roughly 11 words. So I know what they are talking about when they start mentioning lines.

So if someone says that the doc is 500 lines long, the quantity is probably around 5500 words.

If that's true for Spanish and Portuguese, you could figure out yourself.

perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Gert! Mar 16, 2007

Gert Hirschfeld wrote:

Hi Perry,
My rule of thumb is - based on past translation documents - that a line of 55 chars equals roughly 11 words. So I know what they are talking about when they start mentioning lines.

So if someone says that the doc is 500 lines long, the quantity is probably around 5500 words.

If that's true for Spanish and Portuguese, you could figure out yourself.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Per line rates

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs