Video files
Thread poster: Olena Mankovska

Olena Mankovska  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:48
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Mar 16, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I would appreciate your feedback on the following. I was asked to provide a quote for translating subtitles of a video file. Originally I was going to charge as usual - per word; however, it appeared that I would also need to listen to original voices, see what is missing in the subtitles, and then translate.

Please advise.

Direct link Reply with quote

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:48
English to Russian
+ ...
Per minute of video Mar 16, 2007

For translation of video clips the fee is per minute as you spend extra time watching and listening to the video (and oftentimes trying to figure out what they are mumbling about!) - provided that you translate the video subtitles in MS Word.

If the agency/client also requests to put the timing before every two lines of translation which will make a subtitle, add some extra money - this is also time consuming.

Please remember to check with them about the maximum length of characters in the line to avoid spending even more time trying to make the translation more compact.

The best would be to use your per hour rate divided by 60. Good luck!

Olena Mankovska  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:48
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 16, 2007

sokolniki wrote:

The best would be to use your per hour rate divided by 60. Good luck!

Thanks, I really appreciate this detailed explanation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Video files

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs