Olena Mankovska
Olena Mankovska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:11
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Mar 16, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I would appreciate your feedback on the following. I was asked to provide a quote for translating subtitles of a video file. Originally I was going to charge as usual - per word; however, it appeared that I would also need to listen to original voices, see what is missing in the subtitles, and then translate.

Please advise.

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:11
English to Russian
+ ...
Per minute of video Mar 16, 2007

For translation of video clips the fee is per minute as you spend extra time watching and listening to the video (and oftentimes trying to figure out what they are mumbling about!) - provided that you translate the video subtitles in MS Word.

If the agency/client also requests to put the timing before every two lines of translation which will make a subtitle, add some extra money - this is also time consuming.

Please remember to check with them about the maximum lengt
... See more
For translation of video clips the fee is per minute as you spend extra time watching and listening to the video (and oftentimes trying to figure out what they are mumbling about!) - provided that you translate the video subtitles in MS Word.

If the agency/client also requests to put the timing before every two lines of translation which will make a subtitle, add some extra money - this is also time consuming.

Please remember to check with them about the maximum length of characters in the line to avoid spending even more time trying to make the translation more compact.

The best would be to use your per hour rate divided by 60. Good luck!
Collapse

Olena Mankovska
Olena Mankovska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:11
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 16, 2007

sokolniki wrote:

The best would be to use your per hour rate divided by 60. Good luck!

Thanks, I really appreciate this detailed explanation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Video files

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »