Currency of quotes and invoices
Thread poster: Elisabeth Drumm

Elisabeth Drumm
Local time: 05:53
English to German
+ ...
Mar 16, 2007

Hi all,

I have been doing translations for some years but am new to submitting quotes for jobs.
In which currency should I submit my quote? I live in the US and like to get paid in US dollars. Do I submit the price I like to get in USD or do I convert it to the currency of the oursourcer, i.e. euros?

The same question applies to invoices. In which currency do I bill for my services?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Elisabeth

Direct link Reply with quote

Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:53
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Hi Elisabeth Mar 16, 2007

I usually quote in the currency of the country of the outsourcer and bill them accordingly. As long as you convert the amount you would like to get, in your case in USD, accordingly, I think it does not make any difference which curreny I quote and bill in.

Manuela

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:53
German to English
Whatever the client wants Mar 16, 2007

Elisabeth Drumm wrote:
In which currency should I submit my quote? I live in the US and like to get paid in US dollars. Do I submit the price I like to get in USD or do I convert it to the currency of the oursourcer, i.e. euros?

The same question applies to invoices. In which currency do I bill for my services?

Quote and invoice in whatever currency the client wants, as long as it's convertible.

If you do a reasonable amount of work for clients in the euro zone, it's probably going to be worth your while opening a bank account here (e.g. in Germany).

The same applies to the quoting unit, i.e. words, lines, etc. Whatever the client wants, you quote it, as long as it's reasonable and both sides understand exactly what it means.

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Depend Mar 16, 2007

Hi Elisabeth,

within the euro-zone, I quote and bill in euros. Same for the UK, but I usually give the amount in GBP as a footnote or between brackets, just to be nice.

Outside Europe, everything in USD, unless the client indicates they can handle euros. Because I live in Europe, euro is my preferred currency.

Good luck!

Margreet

Elisabeth Drumm
Local time: 05:53
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 18, 2007

Thanks to all of you for your comments and advice. This is very useful for me.
Elisabeth

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Invoice in your preferred currency Mar 18, 2007

Elisabeth Drumm wrote:
In which currency should I submit my quote? I live in the US and like to get paid in US dollars.

Invoice in your preferred currency. That said, the quote that you submitted initially should also have been in your preferred currency. To put it a different way, invoice in the same currency as you had quoted.

In my case, I don't quote in my local currency for non-local clients. I usually quote in EUR or USD, but sometimes when I get a client from a different country, I will try to find out (a) is the exchange rate reasonably stable, and (b) what is the usual currency conversion charge from their currency to mine, and if I'm happy with the results, I'll quote that client in his own currency.

If you do quote in a currency that is not natively available in the client's country, what he may end up doing is convert your invoice amount on the date of payment to his currency, and then pay that amount, which might mean you end up getting slightly less than you had invoiced for, if the currency exchange rate changes between pay send date and pay receive date.

You may also end up getting less if the currency exchange charge is applied by the bank only after the client had made the payment. On the other hand, if you had quoted in the client's currency, you'd end up paying currency exchange charges anyway, charged by your own bank.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Currency of quotes and invoices

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs