Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
USD or €uro - amongst us which is a better price?
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 17:57
English to German
+ ...
Mar 17, 2007

Hi! amongst us which is a better price. Most often the clients come with source word count, whichever combination it was. May be we should make it public, how word count works. My combinations aer EN-DE and EN-DE. It means simply that I have more english words to process either way. Currently I am facing a fight, because initially I found the OS most sympathetic and well mannered and.... the work results were diffenet, half way around the work i had informed the client, but he doesn´t understan... See more
Hi! amongst us which is a better price. Most often the clients come with source word count, whichever combination it was. May be we should make it public, how word count works. My combinations aer EN-DE and EN-DE. It means simply that I have more english words to process either way. Currently I am facing a fight, because initially I found the OS most sympathetic and well mannered and.... the work results were diffenet, half way around the work i had informed the client, but he doesn´t understand. How to go about this? Best Brandis
p.s sorry for the confusion. I have a project here DE-EN and had initially quoted USD on source word count (DE). I normally quote on source or target whichever is higher. Now after taking the project I had realized that I did a mistake this time. I had contacted the OS (outsourcer) explaining the logic of more words in one language, whether source or target and that I need either 1) same price figure in Euro ( about 20% more USD) or USD in target word count (the real extra difference of the word count). But my OS fails to understand the logic. Usually I have about 35% or 40% more words in english (target) the dollar price balances the work somewhat. Surely €uro would be better, but ..I guess I would be repeating myself. In the porocess of submitting a bid we see €uro = USD, but it is not equal.

[Edited at 2007-03-18 02:58]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-18 05:08]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:57
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Could you rephrase it, please Mar 17, 2007

Brandis wrote:
Hi! amongst us which is a better price. Most often the clients come with source word count, whichever combination it was. May be we should make it public, how word count works. My combinations aer EN-DE and EN-DE. It means simply that I have more english words to process either way. Currently I am facing a fight, because initially I found the OS most sympathetic and well mannered and.... the work results were diffenet, half way around the work i had informed the client, but he doesn´t understand. How to go about this? Best Brandis

Hi Brandis,
I can't understand what you intended to say in your posting above.
Specifically, could you rephrase the bit after "Hi!" up to "Best Brandis".
I also don't understand how the title is related to the rest.

Gianfranco

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ditto here .... Mar 17, 2007

That would indeed be a great help. Maybe I'm just tired, but it makes no (real) sense to me either.

TIA
Deborah

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 11:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try German forum, maybe? Mar 17, 2007

I don't get it either. Brandis, you might get a more helpful response if you posted this in German on the German forum. I really tried, but I can't figure out what you're talking about. Sorry.

Jane

Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
erm... Mar 17, 2007

I also would kindly ask for some clarifications although I have to say (with all due respect) than in 99% of cases forum posts by this respectable colleague leave me totally puzzled, to say the least.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Agree with tinageta Mar 17, 2007

tinageta wrote:
in 99% of cases forum posts by this respectable colleague leave me totally puzzled, to say the least.

I second that. Good entertainment, though.

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:57
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Definitely €uro Mar 17, 2007

If you’re using EN-DE, than you’d better charge €uro than USD, but when it’s EN-DE, of course €uro is always better than USD.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Very wise advice Mar 17, 2007

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:

If you’re using EN-DE, than you’d better charge €uro than USD, but when it’s EN-DE, of course €uro is always better than USD.

for a problem that seemed unsolvable!

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
It depends ... Mar 17, 2007

Euros or euros, depending what the question is

Judy Almodovar
Judy Almodovar
Italy
English to Tagalog
+ ...
Maybe Mar 18, 2007

I try to read and understand this article, it took my attention to understand well. Maybe Brandis is asking for an idea of how much he can charge per word on his language combination, well the word charge depends on quality of translation and translators' experiences in translating, that most of outsourcers bases that took their attention to trust and/or hire a translator for their project.
And maybe, as what Mr. Henrik Pipoyan said what to use Euro or dollar.

[Edited at 2007-03-18
... See more
I try to read and understand this article, it took my attention to understand well. Maybe Brandis is asking for an idea of how much he can charge per word on his language combination, well the word charge depends on quality of translation and translators' experiences in translating, that most of outsourcers bases that took their attention to trust and/or hire a translator for their project.
And maybe, as what Mr. Henrik Pipoyan said what to use Euro or dollar.

[Edited at 2007-03-18 13:34]
Collapse

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 01:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
Keep it simple Mar 18, 2007

Hi Brandis,
I think your client didn't understand the logic because you originally quoted an incorrect rate in USD and then brought EUR into the equation with your explanation of why you needed to adjust your quote.

Sometimes I do the same thing when I'm quoting and I really have to think about whether I'm quoting Chinese to English or English to Chinese because the ratio between characters and words is very different.

If you quote incorrectly in USD, EUR, GBP or
... See more
Hi Brandis,
I think your client didn't understand the logic because you originally quoted an incorrect rate in USD and then brought EUR into the equation with your explanation of why you needed to adjust your quote.

Sometimes I do the same thing when I'm quoting and I really have to think about whether I'm quoting Chinese to English or English to Chinese because the ratio between characters and words is very different.

If you quote incorrectly in USD, EUR, GBP or whatever currency you want to use, I think clients will understand the adjustment with an explanation of language direction ratios as long as you then adjust your rate in the same currency as you originally quoted.

Of course ideally, to avoid any confusion you want to quote the correct rate in the beginning. I keep a note next to my screen now with rates in all major currencies for both language directions so I always quote correctly and don't have to start providing explanations about there being more Chinese characters in a sentence than English words and vice versa.

Hope you get it all sorted out.
Best,
Mark
Collapse

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Your mistake Mar 18, 2007

If I understand you correctly, you made a mistake when quoting, and now you want to amend that.
However, you have given your client a quote, and he is entirely entitled to stick to that. Why would he have to pay for your mistake?
Of course, you can ask him politely if he would consider paying you more then you quoted him for. But it will be purely a matter of courtesy if he agrees to that.
Like we say in my language: you burnt your buttocks, you sit on it.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all for the consoling help Mar 18, 2007

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

If I understand you correctly, you made a mistake when quoting, and now you want to amend that.
However, you have given your client a quote, and he is entirely entitled to stick to that. Why would he have to pay for your mistake?
Of course, you can ask him politely if he would consider paying you more then you quoted him for. But it will be purely a matter of courtesy if he agrees to that.
Like we say in my language: you burnt your buttocks, you sit on it.
My client understands now. I send him this thread. thank you all again. I was very worried. Brandis

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Are you sure? Mar 18, 2007

Brandis wrote:
My client understands now. I send him this thread.

Are you really sure you want to let your client read this thread?

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Great Fun Mar 18, 2007

Reading this thread has been more fun than going to the movies

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

USD or €uro - amongst us which is a better price?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »