Mobile menu

Web site translation (IT>EN) - what to charge?
Thread poster: simona dachille

simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:31
Italian to English
Mar 19, 2007

What do you charge for translating a web site? Is it the same rates as per texts, i.e: per word ? Thanks

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-19 18:27]

[Edited at 2007-03-19 21:04]

Direct link Reply with quote

mystymy
Local time: 07:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Website translation Mar 21, 2007

First, make sure you can do the work. Do you know HTML? Encoding? Rainbow or Javascript?

If you do fine, if not don't just think you can translate as you would a MSword document.

Do they want you to translate the graphics? That is (for me) the most difficult. Then you need photoshop or some other graphic knowledge. You DEFINATELY charge more for the graphics than for the copy on a website.

Each website is different so you'll have to look at it and decide how much time it will take and price according to time and how difficult it seems.

Lastly make sure to get the source. Many clients think they are giving you the source, but it is best to speak to the webmaster.

All the best

simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:31
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 21, 2007

Thanks very much for your reply. They had already transcribed the text to be translated into a PDF, with no graphics. In the end I quoted them my usual rate.

Kristaps Otrups
Denmark
Local time: 13:31
English to Latvian
+ ...
Rainbowscript HTML skillz Mar 21, 2007

mystymy wrote:

First, make sure you can do the work. Do you know HTML? Encoding? Rainbow or Javascript?

If you do fine, if not don't just think you can translate as you would a MSword document.

What? Of course you can translate it as a document. You don't need to translate JavaScript or HTML tags, they just remain untouched in English. You just need to translate the actual text that the visitor of the site will see.

mystymy
Local time: 07:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
rainbow re: Mar 22, 2007

I mentioned HTML, javascript etc. because unfortunately some people try to translate everything including the javascript. It does not happen often but sometimes you get an eager person translating a website for the very first timeand then problems can come up.

It took me some time to get to know website work well, so I only mention it to save others from suffering as I did.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Web site translation (IT>EN) - what to charge?

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs