British resident being charged 25% IRPF
Thread poster: smvasc
smvasc
Spain
Local time: 17:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 20, 2007

I am a freelance translator and interpreter in the UK. I have recently carried out an interpretation in Spain, for a Spanish Agency. The interpretation lasted 1 day. When presenting the invoice to the agency, they are asking me to deduct 25% of IRPF. Is this normal? Wouldn't that mean I pay taxes both in the UK and in Spain for the same invoice? How can I pay taxes in Spain if I do not have a Spanish fiscal number? Thank you all.

Direct link Reply with quote

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Must be a mistake Mar 20, 2007

This must be a mistake, as you are right that IRPF is income tax - which applies to Spanish residents, and to be more precise only for 'actividades profesionales' not 'empresariales'.

As you haven't got a Spanish NIF (tax number) they could not even pay it to the Spanish tax authorities on your behalf.

VAT is more of a difficult point, as the service was carried out in Spain...

Suerte!

Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:15
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Certificado de residencia fiscal Mar 20, 2007

Hi Smvasc,

One of my Spanish clients asks me for a "certificado de residencia fiscal" from the Inland Revenue each year so that this does not take place. Have a look at this previous thread that I started when I was first asked for it and didn't have a clue what it was! http://www.proz.com/post/231649#231649

With that certificate I do not think they can retain anything.

Good luck!

Becky.

simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:15
Italian to English
you shouldn't pay it Mar 20, 2007

I am a freelance translator and work for Italian companies. I pay tax in the Uk and do not need to pay anything to the companies. I also needed to provide them with the above-mentioned document from the Inland Revenue as proof of UK residency.

smvasc
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 20, 2007

Thanks to everyone! I've contacted the Inland Revenue and they stated they will send me such a letter by post...Thanks for sharing your experiences with me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

British resident being charged 25% IRPF

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs