British resident being charged 25% IRPF
Thread poster: smvasc
smvasc
Spain
Local time: 12:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 20, 2007

I am a freelance translator and interpreter in the UK. I have recently carried out an interpretation in Spain, for a Spanish Agency. The interpretation lasted 1 day. When presenting the invoice to the agency, they are asking me to deduct 25% of IRPF. Is this normal? Wouldn't that mean I pay taxes both in the UK and in Spain for the same invoice? How can I pay taxes in Spain if I do not have a Spanish fiscal number? Thank you all.

Direct link Reply with quote

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Must be a mistake Mar 20, 2007

This must be a mistake, as you are right that IRPF is income tax - which applies to Spanish residents, and to be more precise only for 'actividades profesionales' not 'empresariales'.

As you haven't got a Spanish NIF (tax number) they could not even pay it to the Spanish tax authorities on your behalf.

VAT is more of a difficult point, as the service was carried out in Spain...

Suerte!

Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:55
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Certificado de residencia fiscal Mar 20, 2007

Hi Smvasc,

One of my Spanish clients asks me for a "certificado de residencia fiscal" from the Inland Revenue each year so that this does not take place. Have a look at this previous thread that I started when I was first asked for it and didn't have a clue what it was! http://www.proz.com/post/231649#231649

With that certificate I do not think they can retain anything.

Good luck!

Becky.

simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:55
Italian to English
you shouldn't pay it Mar 20, 2007

I am a freelance translator and work for Italian companies. I pay tax in the Uk and do not need to pay anything to the companies. I also needed to provide them with the above-mentioned document from the Inland Revenue as proof of UK residency.

smvasc
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 20, 2007

Thanks to everyone! I've contacted the Inland Revenue and they stated they will send me such a letter by post...Thanks for sharing your experiences with me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

British resident being charged 25% IRPF

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs