Quotation for mp3 recordings
Thread poster: Silvia Gentili
Silvia Gentili
Silvia Gentili  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:06
English to Spanish
Mar 21, 2007

Hello a client needs a quotation for mp3 recordings into different languages. How am I supposed to charge, per fraction of hour, per page of translation?
Thank you very much your help
Silvia Gentili

mystymy
mystymy
Local time: 17:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
MP3 rates Mar 21, 2007

Good question. Are you translating the copy or are you expected to record the MP3? Is the MP3 for a sample or is it to be used commercially? This changes the rates dramatically.

Voice-over talent receives a standard fee and depending on the country it is a standard rate, or can be negotiated with the talent. You also need the studio or facility to record.

But if you are only translating the copy that the client supplies your usual per word rate should suffice.

Pablo Guazzotti
Pablo Guazzotti  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Opinion Mar 21, 2007

Off the top of my head, irrespective of the unit you'll choose to bill them (be it per word, hour, or anythign else) I suggest you did some testing before deciding on your fee. Maybe you can do a small sample bit, after which you'll be able to work out the approximate number of hours for the whole project. In the end, the ultimate measurement of your work is the time you devoted to it, whether measured in words or not. If my understanding is correct, you have to listen to a talk in the source l... See more
Off the top of my head, irrespective of the unit you'll choose to bill them (be it per word, hour, or anythign else) I suggest you did some testing before deciding on your fee. Maybe you can do a small sample bit, after which you'll be able to work out the approximate number of hours for the whole project. In the end, the ultimate measurement of your work is the time you devoted to it, whether measured in words or not. If my understanding is correct, you have to listen to a talk in the source language, probably type it out first, and then translate it into the target language. That is no minor thing, and hinging on the quality of the audio, as well as other factors, your fee should vary accordingly.
Good luck!
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
my 2 centavitos Mar 21, 2007

Silvia,

Mystyme's questions are important, and what I'm saying may not be relevant for your situation, but I'll put it out here anyway

I've only just done my first MP3 job, and it was only TRANSCRIPTION (English speakers, transcribed into English). I found it quite relaxing. I used Dragon 9 and listened to the MP3 and then whispered the words into English in a Word file.

However, I would say
... See more
Silvia,

Mystyme's questions are important, and what I'm saying may not be relevant for your situation, but I'll put it out here anyway

I've only just done my first MP3 job, and it was only TRANSCRIPTION (English speakers, transcribed into English). I found it quite relaxing. I used Dragon 9 and listened to the MP3 and then whispered the words into English in a Word file.

However, I would say that your normal per-word rate (esp. if you are TRANSLATING!) should not apply!! You should charge more.

There is a lot of extraneous verbiage that you have to wade through while listening to the MP3 and not everything is always clearly stated. It took me about 9 hours to produce a good, clean copy of slightly less than 2 hours worth of speeches by 3 speakers. One, in particular, garbled everything. Several times, what he said was "bass akwards" (todo revuelto) -- he said the opposite of what he clearly meant! Of course, I couldn't just assume that--so I needed to listen, and listen again, to be certain I wasn't missing something. After I finished, I had to proofread, which entailed listening to the speeches again -- which took about 3 hours because of pausing to make corrections.

Anyway, I hope that helps ... Good luck!
Collapse

Silvia Gentili
Silvia Gentili  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you much Mar 22, 2007

Hello everybody

I want to thank you very much for your clear explanation of what I though it was a "quiet" easy activity. I am going to consider all the aspects you pointed out before quoting to the customer.
best regards and again thank you much!
silviag

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quotation for mp3 recordings

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »