Mobile menu

Do you charge printing fees when the client wants a huge translation printed?
Thread poster: Manuel Aburto M

Manuel Aburto M
Nicaragua
Local time: 02:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 22, 2007

Hi, dear Prozian colleagues:

I have always wondered, if the document you are translating it too long, let's say 50 pages on, and the client wants to have the whole translation printed, do you usually charge him/her, besides the translation fees, an additional printing fee?

If so, how much do you charge him/her?

Or

Is it included in your translation fees?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Regards,

Manuel

[Edited at 2007-03-22 23:54]

Direct link Reply with quote

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:34
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Absolutely Mar 23, 2007

Hi Manuel,

Of course, you should charge the additional printing fee. The fee may be different from country to country. In Padang, Indonesia, I charge Rp500 per page (quarto, line spacing 1, margins 3-3-3-3 cms).

[Edited at 2007-03-23 07:13]

Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:34
Finnish to English
No Mar 23, 2007

I don't charge

xxxBrandis
Local time: 10:34
English to German
+ ...
Yes I do Mar 23, 2007

Hi! Printing catridges are not getting cheap either. The marginal extra cost as per my calculation is about €0.02 - €0.03 per A4 page.Brandis

Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:34
German to English
+ ...
What difference does the size of the file make? Mar 23, 2007

Look at it this way. If your normal rate covers the cost of printing a 3-page document, and you charge the same rate for a 3000-page document, then you are still making profit at the same rate. Quite likely more, actually, because the odd blank bit of paper at the end (and any sheets you may waste starting up, is spread over the whole file.

I personally don’t print files at all. I don’t think it helps my proofreading, and all my clients are on other continents; so it’s time- or cost-effective to snailmail them hardcopy.

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 23, 2007

I charge for printed copies of translations at 6p/page, plus postage. I have a minimum charge of GBP 5.00 for this service. I find that this encourages an environmentally friendly attitude!

Have a good weekend,
Amy

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
No Mar 23, 2007

I can't remember the last time I was asked to print a translation, I must admit, but as I always print a hard copy, I wouldn't charge to do so. I did use to charge for photocopying if I had to photocopy diagrams and then cut and paste figures in with captions, but thankfully, with the advent of multi-function printers, scanners and selectable pdf files, those days are long gone.

I use compatible ink cartridges in any event, which I buy very reasonably over the internet, so the cost of the ink is negligible in the scheme of things.

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 05:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Make 'em pay! Mar 23, 2007

It doesn't often happen that a client wants a hardcopy, but when it does happen I charge for the service.

I use a laser printer, so from a 'printing costs / profit margin' perspective the situation is comparable with the rates in the local photocopy shops. Here, in a sleepy town in the foothills of the Andes, they charge CLP 30 / side (+/- Eur 0.04), to which I add the actual delivery charge (post or - more common here for national delivery - sending it by bus).

MediaMatrix

Manuel Aburto M
Nicaragua
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Mar 23, 2007

I do appreciate all your comments!

Thank you very, very much!

Best Regards,

Manuel

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 01:34
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe I would... Mar 23, 2007

... if my clients were really understanding, but I've never received such a request. Only a few have actually asked me to send a notorized copy of the translation and an invoice by regular mail. In such cases, I only added the notarization fees to the invoice and saw no point charging for printing and postage.

What you can actually do if your client refuses to pay is make sure you include the money you spent with cartridges/toners, paper, postage, etc. in your business expenses log, so you can have deductions when the tax season comes.

Marsha Way  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Include it in the page/word price Mar 23, 2007

My per page price already includes the printing of one set and the file on CD, if necessary. If the customer needed anymore sets, then, yes, you should charge them. Since most of my work has been local and the customers DO expect a hard copy, we have included it as part of the service. Sometimes, especially for certified translations of school documents, the client needs several original sets to send to different universities. The extra cost for these is per page and covers any supplies needed. I think any postage to send these should be paid by the client.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Mar 23, 2007

I still do a lot of work from paper documents, much of which I print out and certify. I am involved in that right now. It is normally very good, lucrative work, but even for things that are not particularly lucrative, I charge nothing extra for either service.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you charge printing fees when the client wants a huge translation printed?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs