Tax in Ireland
Thread poster: garrett higgins
garrett higgins
Local time: 01:58
Italian to English
Mar 26, 2007

Hi.
I am a freelance translator who moved back to Ireland at the beginning of 2006. As a result I will not make my first income declaration until this year. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can give me an idea of how much I might expect to pay, what i can write off, etc.
Thanks, GJH

Direct link Reply with quote

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
revenue site Mar 26, 2007

Hi Garrett,

have you been onto revenue.ie yet?

I *think* the limit is around €25K before you have to start paying tax, but I'm not 100% sure.

O.

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:58
German to English
Accountant Mar 26, 2007

garrett higgins wrote:
I am a freelance translator who moved back to Ireland at the beginning of 2006. As a result I will not make my first income declaration until this year. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can give me an idea of how much I might expect to pay, what i can write off, etc.
Thanks, GJH

You mean you haven't registered yet? Haven't paid any advance (preliminary) tax? You'd better consult an accountant or tax adviser, fast, to avoid problems with the tax people. You should also read e.g. http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/taxguide_chapt1.htm

garrett higgins
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Accountant Mar 26, 2007

Thanks.
Yes, I have registered, and I do have an accountant, who advised me I am not liable for any (preliminary) tax for the first year.

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:58
German to English
Accountant, redux Mar 26, 2007

garrett higgins wrote:
Yes, I have registered, and I do have an accountant, who advised me I am not liable for any (preliminary) tax for the first year.

That wasn't clear from your first mail. If you have an accountant, then he or she will be able to give you all the advice you need on tax matters - that's their job, after all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax in Ireland

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums