Translators working in the UK for US clients - which currency/payment option?
Thread poster: liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:47
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 27, 2007

Hello

I have just finished translating a document for a client in the USA.

Initially they said they would pay in Euros. However, as I am based in the UK what would be more beneficial to me? Pounds Sterling/Euros?

I have a bank account with the Co-operative.

I have no other means of payment set up as this is my first "translation" from abroad.

I do interpreting for a US company and they pay me in £ Sterling by wire into my bank account. However, the client this time says this is an expensive way of paying me.

What do others think?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-27 20:33]

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
One solution - PayPal Mar 27, 2007

other people may have better solutions, but one which has worked well for me is PayPal.

Some years ago I set up a PayPal Premium account. That means I can accept payment in US dollars, minus a small percentage.

That account also enabled me to set up a link to my UK bank acount (Barclays, a normal sterling account).

Now, once I have accumulated a sum in PayPal, I can transfer money from PayPal to my Barclays accoount online, minus a small conversion percentage. Hard to check, but I believe this is the cheapest route. It is certainly the most convenient, because it is easy for US companies to pay US dollars to PayPal.

I choose to leave some US dollars in PayPal in order to pay for occasional US purchasers, including things like ProZ subscriptions or attendance at ProZ conferences.

Frank van Thienen  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:47
Dutch to English
solution 2: moneybookers Mar 28, 2007

I work in Canada, with the 99% of my jobs coming from Europe.
Either PayPal of MoneyBookers are convenient and inexpensive. It costs the customer nothing to transfer funds, which is an incentive for them, and it only costs me about 3.5% I believe, which I gladly pay for the speed and convenience.
I hear that (some?) European customers can now make international money transfers through their own bank account's online service, but that is not yet an option for Canadian (or US?) customers.

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
PayPal best option Mar 28, 2007

I agree with Peter: PayPal has been invaluable to me for receiving payments from the US, among other countries. It is also useful for sites such as ebay, of course. I would not accept a cheque from the US, because the charges I've had to pay in the past too my bank were too high.

liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PayPal - how do I set this up? Mar 28, 2007

Thank you to everybody who replied.

I did ask my Bank what the best option would be and they said a cheque in US dollars, but I suppose they wanted the commission for the foreign exchange deal.

How do I set up a Pay Pal account?

Thank you for any help and advice.

Liz Askew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators working in the UK for US clients - which currency/payment option?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs