Thread poster: Paulo César Mendes MD, CT

Paulo César Mendes MD, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 2, 2007

Hello to all,

I would like your opinion on the following situation.

Back in January, a Canadian company contacted me about translating their software product. They mailed me a signed PO (four copies) and a CD-ROM containing the program. I mailed two copies of the PO back to them.

Right after receiving the program, they called me saying that they were working on a new version of the software and wished to translate the newer version instead. Also according to them, the new program would be ready by the end of March.

On March 28th, I contacted them again by email and phone. There were no replies to my emails and I get a "this number has been disconnected message" whenever I try to call the number they gave me. However, this number is still listed on their site.

This whole thing is starting to look fishy to me. Any insights/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Local time: 01:38
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
put it on a back-burner Apr 2, 2007

they may come back to you ("under new management") ,l but I would not bet my farm on it.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lucky Apr 2, 2007

They could have had you do the job, bill them and THEN they don't return contacts.

Consider yourself lucky.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:38
Dutch to English
+ ...
Close your file Apr 3, 2007

It's a no-go situation.

truptee  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:08
French to English
+ ...
I have gone through something similar! Apr 3, 2007

This was a French software company that I was translating for. Soon after their first batch of translations, they said they needed me to wait as some updates were expected..

I waited..

Next thing I hear (from a friend who in fact was the one who introduced me to this company) that.. this software company was down in dumps.. may close down..

That was the end of the topic.

Neither did the director contact me again, nor did I initiate any communiqué, since we were on pretty informal terms.. to save him the embarrassment of talking about his failed venture.. or his inability to pay me my charges..

Software companies sometimes 'look' promising, talk big, plan huge.. and have a tendency to fail the quickest way possible..

Trust me.

I am a software person myself.

Good you didn't start their work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client won't return contacts

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs