Rates for single documents US
Thread poster: Elena Carrión
Elena Carrión
United States
French to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 3, 2007

Dear colleagues,

My client wants me to translate some documents that do not have a lot of technical language. They are several documents of one page, with no many words, and I am a bit unsure about how to charge them. Shall I charge them by pages. My client is from the US, do you know how the rates are there? I know that they usually charge 0.12-0.14 cents per word, but since these documents do not have so many words, I don't think they could be charge by word, what are your suggestions?

Thank you very much!
You always help me a lot!!!

Have a nice day!

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge by the Word Apr 3, 2007

Few words = little work

Unless there is formatting involved, you could charge a bit more for that.

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:59
English to Dutch
+ ...
Why not per word? Apr 3, 2007

Why wouldn't you charge by the word? The fact that they are spread out over many pages isn't relevant, is it?

Elena Carrión
United States
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rates for single documents US Apr 3, 2007

Well, maybe I was thinking in sworn translations where usually documents are charged by the pagewhen they are too short. I guess my confusion was coming from there.

Jackie Bowman

Local time: 04:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Charge by the word Apr 3, 2007

In Spanish to English, always try to charge by the word in the source (Spanish) text. If you are a good translator, the English version will always have 10–15 percent fewer words than the Spanish original.

For a one-off job, you might want to consider a lump sum on a day-rate. In the United States, if you’re working for someone who is even semi-serious, 12 cents a word is acceptable. Fourteen cents a word is better.

On a day-rate, $450 per day is acceptable. $500 a day, obviously, is better and definitely attainable.

If you’re working for a translation agency, of course, none of the above applies. If you’re working for a translation agency, I can’t help you on rates. But if you are working for a translation agency, I very strongly advise you to stop doing it.

All best,
JB

Juliana Starkman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
In the cold north Apr 4, 2007

I do a lot of immigration documents, which sometimes means a pile ( as you said) of pages with 5 lines, or 10 lines each. I charge by the word, with a minimum per page. Generally I ask for a minimum of between $25 and 35 per page depending on how busy I am, if it's a regular client, etc. They seem quite happy with this...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for single documents US

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs