Possible legal actions against unpaid bill outside the US.
Thread poster: Hikonishi (X)
Hikonishi (X)
Hikonishi (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:20
English to Japanese
Apr 26, 2007

I though that I can file unpaid clients outside the US at Small Claims Court in the US. However, I was told that both parties should have addresses in the US. If I cannot use Small Claims Court in the US, what are the alternative actions against clients having unpaid bills? One of unpaid clients is living in Japan, and the other is in India. I am living in the US. Please advise.

[Edited at 2007-04-26 20:05]

[Edited at 2007-04-26 20:05]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:20
English to Thai
+ ...
Debt collecting agency Apr 27, 2007

There are some debt collecting agencies you can search on Internet. Their commission fee is low for certain target countries. Effectiveness should be checked based on reputation in advance.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

ejprotran
ejprotran
Local time: 21:20
English to Japanese
D&B's debt collection services Apr 27, 2007

Fortunately, I've never come across such unpaid clients before, but share your frustration with this critical issue that could happen to any translators.

Have you checked and tried a debt collection service offered by Dun & Bradstreet, Inc.? You might want to check the following links.<
... See more
Fortunately, I've never come across such unpaid clients before, but share your frustration with this critical issue that could happen to any translators.

Have you checked and tried a debt collection service offered by Dun & Bradstreet, Inc.? You might want to check the following links.

http://smallbusiness.dnb.com/default.asp
http://smallbusiness.dnb.com/collect-debt/browse-products.asp

I hope this helps.

ejprotran
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible legal actions against unpaid bill outside the US.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »