Rate for 1800 character text
Thread poster: eva75

eva75
English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2007

How much should one charge for a text this length. Subject field, general. Languages: French>English.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:54
English to German
+ ...
Hi Eva! Apr 28, 2007

I am just wondering why you don't do a word count and apply your rate per word? I assume that you do have a rate per word. Your profile page indicates two years of translation experience...

There is no such thing as "field: general", BTW.

Good luck!

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:54
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Minimum rate Apr 28, 2007

If I understand you right, this is a very small text.

However, it akes at least as long to set up, register, mail to the client, invoice etc. etc. etc. as any other job.

I can't do that in under 20 minutes, even for a client who only gets one-line entry per job on a monthly invoice.

If it is a rushed job, it may interrupt you while you are doing something more profitable. You have to provide service for your clients, but business is business. You have to pay bills and keep in form too.

I have one client in particular who sends tiny jobs regularly via an agency - and wants the jobs in Trados for their database... I charge for 20 minutes + word count every time.

For others I charge for 30 minutes plus word count for anything under 100 words.

(In practice, if its's one of the two good agencies I sometimes waive the wordcount if I can do it fast, but not too often!)

Clients need to be realistic. You can do favours now and then, for good clients, but make sure they appreciate that they are favours. Otherwise you are wasting your time, and the client might just expect the same from everyone else.

Happy translating!

eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Apr 29, 2007

Sorry, by 'General' I meant the area of 'culture/journalism' (nothing too difficult, very general vocabulary)

In fact, it is not necessarily a short text. I just want to know how much one should charge PER 1,800 characters.

I'm useless at calculating. I normally charge a rate of between 0.08 and 0.10 cent per word, but this client insists on paying by characters, which I find very confusing.

I'll rephrase my question again in the hope that someone can help me:

How much should I charge per 1,800 characters of a text in the area of culture, which has quite general vocabulary, and little or almost no terminology?

eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Apr 29, 2007

Christine Andersen wrote:

If it is a rushed job, it may interrupt you while you are doing something more profitable. You have to provide service for your clients, but business is business. You have to pay bills and keep in form too.

I have one client in particular who sends tiny jobs regularly via an agency - and wants the jobs in Trados for their database... I charge for 20 minutes + word count every time.

For others I charge for 30 minutes plus word count for anything under 100 words.

Clients need to be realistic. You can do favours now and then, for good clients, but make sure they appreciate that they are favours. Otherwise you are wasting your time, and the client might just expect the same from everyone else.

Happy translating!

Thank you for this reply, even f it didn't directly answer my question. I agree 'business is business' and I really want to make clear to this client who insists on paying per character ( which ultimately is misleading, I find) that I won't be messed around!

Wish me luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for 1800 character text

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums