Payment problem with agency
Thread poster: Julie Allison

Julie Allison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 30, 2007

Is anyone getting sick of agencies pretending to be good guys and complaining about all these awful translators on forums etc? Wow, some people must be making a lot of money out of throwing out excuse after excuse after excuse to avoid paying us! I only wish I had those nerves of steel to treat people like that. I could be living the Beckham's lifestyle by now.
Well after having another period of my time wasted by trusting a new agency (new to approach me, anyway) I have been stung for the second time in my career.
Just getting it off my chest, guys!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-04-30 16:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:58
English to Russian
+ ...
Take it easy Apr 30, 2007

They do not deserve your nerves, Julie.

xxxhanan hussei
Local time: 00:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
It is really annoying Apr 30, 2007

You are right, people can respect any guarantee except the confidence. It has happened to me once. I exerted great effort and got nothing.

Miguel Jimenez  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
Hard job for translators Apr 30, 2007

I think we have a very hard job and i ask me sometimes, how we can life with that little money we get after a hard work?

First you have to have many experiences in the languages for many year and spend a lot of money for it (travel, education, etc.).

Then you begin to get work experiences (very hard in the beginning), because nobody will contract you without work experiences.

Then to get a job fighting with too many competition and when you have luck to get someone, then you have to make it very quickly and then you have to wait more than 30 days for the payment.
And in some cases never get the payment or very late after sending many mails and/or making telephone calls.

Good luck

Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 08:58
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
but....... May 1, 2007

Miguel Jimenez wrote:
Then to get a job fighting with too many competition and when you have luck to get someone, then you have to make it very quickly and then you have to wait more than 30 days for the payment.
And in some cases never get the payment or very late after sending many mails and/or making telephone calls.

.....when things do go smoothly and you can work when you want to work, have a comfortable life and go to bed at night without thinking, "I've got to get up early to go to work tomorrow!", the journey is so worth it:)

Good luck and stay positive,
Mark

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
That's what the Blue Board is for May 1, 2007

Julie Allison wrote:

Is anyone getting sick of agencies pretending to be good guys and complaining about all these awful translators on forums etc? Wow, some people must be making a lot of money out of throwing out excuse after excuse after excuse to avoid paying us! I only wish I had those nerves of steel to treat people like that. I could be living the Beckham's lifestyle by now.
Well after having another period of my time wasted by trusting a new agency (new to approach me, anyway) I have been stung for the second time in my career.
Just getting it off my chest, guys!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-04-30 16:57]

Yes, it's dreadful, Julie, but that is what the Blue Board is for, at least to a large extent.
Having myself also been "stung" by an agency that has now gone bankrupt, I never accept a new client now without first checking on the Blue Board and other translators' websites that there are no bad reports of them. There's always an element of risk when taking on a new client, but it's well worth checking their record first if possible.
Meanwhile, why not make a Blue Board entry about this agency now? You can always edit it if they do pay you eventually.
Best of luck,
Jenny.

[Edited at 2007-05-01 08:11]

Julie Allison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 1, 2007

Thanks to all of you for your support. You know, I normally check the Blue Board and similar facilities on several sites before agreeing to work for a new agent or client and I wish I had this time.
I read on another forum article once about being wary of agencies who have 100% top marks from all their "freelancers" and that this is a ploy used by some agencies to get high ratings. I guess I'll bear this in mind even more so now. Ah well, at least we have glorious weather here in the UK right now- things could be much, much worse!!

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:58
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Jenny is right: please use the Blue Board! May 1, 2007

The Blue Board can only be as useful or useless as we make it. If folks don't enter their experiences - both good and bad - in the Blue Board, then yes, of course all we're going to see are entries made at the urging of the outsourcers.

So if you've had a bad experience with a outsourcer, please share that experience with the rest of us! But don't stop there: share those good experiences, too, whether or not you've been asked by an outsourcer!

When entering an LWA (Likelihood to Work Again) of 1 or 2 for an outsourcer, you will be asked whether you have a non-payment complaint about that particular outsourcer. If you do have a complaint, please be sure to complete the related complaint form *at that time* so the Site has a record of your complaint. In this regard, please also note the Site's termination policy:

http://www.proz.com/termination_policy

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 01:58
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
there is a good Jun 10, 2007

Lithuanian saying, which, in English, would sound something like that "Do not fight with a pig because 1) you both will be smelling of sh... after the fight, 2) the pig will enjoy it".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment problem with agency

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs