https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/71916-interpreting_jobs_in_a_non_eu_country.html

Interpreting jobs in a non-EU country
Thread poster: Luca Vincenti
Luca Vincenti
Luca Vincenti
Local time: 06:26
English to Italian
+ ...
May 1, 2007

Hello everybody, does anyone know whether it is possible to work in an extra-EU country for a few days as an interpreter without an official work permit? I'm an Italian citizen and the clients would be Italian as well (I would invoice them using an Italian VAT number). The countries would be China, USA and Canada. Any idea? Thank you very much.
Best regards.
L. V.

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Usually Yes May 2, 2007

Hi,

I'm not sure about the modalities in different countries but I guess it is possible.

One of my first interpreting assignments was in Yaounde, Cameroon. I did not apply for any work-permit etc. And it is not as if the Government of Cameroon was not aware. The Commissioner of Police of Yaounde was part of the group that came to receive us (I was there with a trainer). It was completely official and Visa was granted (Free of cost) on arrival.

Also, usua
... See more
Hi,

I'm not sure about the modalities in different countries but I guess it is possible.

One of my first interpreting assignments was in Yaounde, Cameroon. I did not apply for any work-permit etc. And it is not as if the Government of Cameroon was not aware. The Commissioner of Police of Yaounde was part of the group that came to receive us (I was there with a trainer). It was completely official and Visa was granted (Free of cost) on arrival.

Also, usually there are interpreters who travel with delegations.

Of course, legislations may differ.

It's just that from what I have experienced I guess that one does not need a work-permit to work as an interpreter.

Why don't you contact the embassy? They should be able to help you out in a better way.

Best regards,

Ritu Bhanot
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting jobs in a non-EU country

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »