Mobile menu

First Spanish to English translation job
Thread poster: Pocketwatcher
English to Spanish
May 2, 2007

I recently acquired a bit of translation work from a woman who wanted a fluent Spanish speaker to translate a number of newspaper articles written in Bolivia. I am a freshman in college and have never done any translation work before. My Spanish is pretty well-developed from five years of language study and time spent in Latin America, but because this is my first forray into translation, I am uncertain of what to charge. Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Do a market survey May 3, 2007

When I was in your situation, I called several local translation agencies, described the translation to them and asked their price. I used that information to set my price. You can also view the rates of other Proz users who have chosen to make their rates public.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:31
English to French
+ ...
It depends May 3, 2007

This will largely depend on where your client is and who she is. If the translation is done for a company and if said company is in the "Western" market, you may want to charge the average market rate. However, if you are doing this work for an individual who is not on the "Western" market, then it's a different story. You need to determine what market your client belongs to and charge accordingly.

As for being a freshman, that is not a very good reason to charge less. If you are fluent in both source and target languages and have the talent and motivation to turn in a quality translation, how old you are or how many years of experience you have are not so important. However, make sure that you are perfectly able to do a professional job. In other words, if you are not comfortable with the text your client wants you to translate, don't do it - and I mean, don't do it even if you are willing to sell substandard work at substandard rates. Never take on work you are not 100% sure you can handle - not with no experience, not with a few years of experience and not even with 20 years of experience.

Otherwise, Spanish to English, from what I've seen on this site as well as others, is paid aroud 5 cents per word in average. However, take note that many of our colleagues in this language pair charge double that or even more.

If you want to have some realistic information, why don't you ask for a quote from a few agencies and a few freelancers to see how much others charge? That would be very useful information for you.

All the best!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First Spanish to English translation job

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs