PayPal notification that I received large amount of money
Thread poster: Nesrin

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:28
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 6, 2007

This morning I received an email from PayPal informing me that I've received more than £4,500 in payments to my PayPal account.
In compliance with the European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations they need to collect information from me. I am to expect a phonecall from PayPal, and I also need to complete an "Expanded Use Enrollment Process" which involves PayPal charging my credit card a small amount of money, then, when the transaction appears on my next statement, I can complete the process by entering the unique number appearing on my statement.

Anyway, this has been the subject of a Proz discussion before:
http://www.proz.com/topic/31006?start=0&float=1

but the discussion was about whether or not the PayPal notification was genuine (it turned out that it was).
But my problem is that I have NO idea where that money could be coming from, and I'm worried that it may be some sort of scam. Has anyone else come across this before? Should I complete the process anyway (which will take weeks, until I receive the cc statement...) and then try to find out? Or should I contact Customer Services now? I think I probably should, but I thought I should get your feedback first.
Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:28
French to English
+ ...
you've answered your own question May 6, 2007

You've answered your own question, Nesrin. If you are not expecting such a sum, prudence! A call to customer service and clarification on the source of the funds seems an essential first step!

Patricia

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:28
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, I just did! Matter resolved! May 6, 2007

And it turns out that when they say "We are sending you this notice because you have received more than 4,500.00
GBP in total payments to your PayPal account" all they mean is that SINCE FEBRUARY 2006 I've received more than 4,500 GBP.

OK, they could have made this clear in their email, couldn't they?? Or would everyone else have understood that they're referring to the total payments made over the past year?

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:28
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes May 6, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

And it turns out that when they say "We are sending you this notice because you have received more than 4,500.00
GBP in total payments to your PayPal account" all they mean is that SINCE FEBRUARY 2006 I've received more than 4,500 GBP.

OK, they could have made this clear in their email, couldn't they?? Or would everyone else have understood that they're referring to the total payments made over the past year?

It happened to me last year when I reached a total of XXXxeuros in Total payments,
I had to send many details about my business, but in my case the message was very clear.

All the best!

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Simple way to authenticate PayPal e-mails May 6, 2007

I'm glad to know you were able to verify the authenticity of that message!

For future messages claiming to come from PayPal, you can simply **forward** the message you received, preferably with **full** headers displayed, to the PayPal spoof e-mail address. Their system is very good about responding promptly to let you know whether or not the message came from them.

Here's the address: spoof@paypal.com

Here's the ProZ.com link to a helpful explanation of how to view the full headers in an e-mail message: http://www.proz.com/faq/mail#mail_headers

lingomania
Local time: 22:28
Italian to English
Tedious subject May 6, 2007

I wonder why these things happen? I mean organizations like Paypal not being clear enough in their e-mails to clients and the sort of thing. Don't we have other "scam-like" problems online already? For this and other reasons, I don't use PayPal services but Visa revolving card transactions online.
Happy work.

Robert

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:28
English to Spanish
Not me May 7, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

I would have been as baffled (and worried) as you. I think clarification is needed, specially when related to as delicate a service as Paypal's (which also so often targeted by fraudsters).

[Edited at 2007-05-07 05:22]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal notification that I received large amount of money

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs