https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/72422-rate_percentages_as_per_type_of_match_on_cat.html

Rate percentages as per type of match on CAT
Thread poster: Mariana Quiroga
Mariana Quiroga
Mariana Quiroga
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 7, 2007

Hello everyone,

I've been asked to submit my rates by a Vancouver agency (I'm in Canada too) and as I've been lucky enough not to have to charge differently for type matches thus far, I do not know what to charge!

What are acceptable percentages for
100% match
99-85%
84-75%

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:00
English to German
+ ...
Search the forum for "fuzzy matches" May 7, 2007

Hi Wainwright,
This is a frequently discussed subject (and probably one of the most controversial ones).

The 'correct' answer is that you're the only one who can tell, since only you know how much time you can save by using the reference material supplied (obviously, you will need to check the quality thereof).

If you're willing to rely on others' experience (which may or may not be relevant to the job at hand), I would suggest to search the forums for "fuzzy mat
... See more
Hi Wainwright,
This is a frequently discussed subject (and probably one of the most controversial ones).

The 'correct' answer is that you're the only one who can tell, since only you know how much time you can save by using the reference material supplied (obviously, you will need to check the quality thereof).

If you're willing to rely on others' experience (which may or may not be relevant to the job at hand), I would suggest to search the forums for "fuzzy matches".

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:00
English to French
+ ...
Advice May 7, 2007

I will not elaborate as there are tons of threads already discussing this. However, I just wanted to bring to your attention that it is best not to go as low with CAT pricing schemes as 75%. My minimum percentage for matches to be considered as fuzzy instead of as new words is 85%. Virtually anything under 85% needs to be retranslated and retyped entirely (this happens even with 95% matches sometimes). Also, if only one word has changed in the source sentence, that doesn't mean that there will n... See more
I will not elaborate as there are tons of threads already discussing this. However, I just wanted to bring to your attention that it is best not to go as low with CAT pricing schemes as 75%. My minimum percentage for matches to be considered as fuzzy instead of as new words is 85%. Virtually anything under 85% needs to be retranslated and retyped entirely (this happens even with 95% matches sometimes). Also, if only one word has changed in the source sentence, that doesn't mean that there will not be four or five words that will need to change in the target segment.

Take a look at this example:

He was stubborn and arrogant. / She was stubborn and arrogant.

Il était têtu et arrogant. / Elle était têtue et arrogante.

While there is only one word that changes in the source segment, three change in the target (the above is an example of an 80% match). This is not so bad yet - there are situations where you get an 80% match yet you have to rewrite the entire segment. It is only normal you get paid for rewriting an entire sentence...

All the best!
Collapse

Mariana Quiroga
Mariana Quiroga
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm sorry about redundancy May 8, 2007

Let me guys say right off the bat that I did run a search but it never occurred to me to look for "fuzzy matches". My bad.

Thanks for the heads up.

Viktoria,

It did strike me as odd for them to ask for rates

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Agree with Victoria May 8, 2007

Percentages below 85% are useless.
Not just English-French (or Spanish, in your case), where gender changes, but also to other languages.

For instance, How are you doing? or What are you doing? give a close match, but obviously don't mean nearly the same.

Good luck!

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great example May 11, 2007

Margreet Logmans wrote:

For instance, How are you doing? or What are you doing? give a close match, but obviously don't mean nearly the same.

In Spanish this would need full retranslation:

How are you doing? = ¿Cómo estás?

What are you doing? = ¿Qué haces? (o "¿Qué estás haciendo?")

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate percentages as per type of match on CAT

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »